Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Service time

Options
Jon_blaney
Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
How does the annual service time compare between a oil furnace and a boiler. I am considering installing a Biasi B-10 to replace a oil furnace and oil hwh. Will I save on annual service?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I hope your whole reason to replace equipment isn't to save a few bucks.
    I charge one price for a boiler, plus one price for a oil-fired water heater.
    I would just charge you the price for a boiler service.
    steve
    DZoro
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Not likely you will save anything on annual maintenance with a boiler vs a furnace. If you want to save money on heating, the best money to spend is honestly on door/window seals, attic insulation etc...

All heating equipment will need maintenance.

The advantage of a boiler will be that you can get rid of the stand alone water heater and put an indirect water heater in its place. This will mean the only piece of equipment you have to maintain will be the boiler, instead of the boiler/furnace and the water heater.
    DZoro
  • Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    Options
    Thank you. I am trying to project the cost savings as I plan an equipment change. Maintenance is part of the long term cost equation. If it takes, for example, four hours to service a boiler and only two hours each for a furnace and oil water heater, then no savings. I may choose a more expensive configuration of equipment, if I know that I will recover part of that difference from saved maintenance cost.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Should only take a maximum of 2 hours for the boiler-complete cleaning, change nozzle/filter/pump strainer, check safety devices, combustion test. About a 1.5 hours for a furnace.
    Furnace and water heater take me about 3 hours total.
    Most companies have a fixed price.

For any triple pass boiler with a swing out door, 2 filters at the tank, set up for true zero smoke, proper nozzle, proper draft, proper combustion air, you should not even need to clean it every year.
    This fall will be 3 years since I cleaned mine. I swing open the door, "nothing to see here", close the door.
    My spin-on filter has a vacuum gauge to tell me if it's getting clogged. In the fall will be 2 years for nozzle and filter.
    Put the analyzer on it every fall. If it reads the same as last year, same draft, not a lot you should do to it.
    Most of my customers with newer equipment are on 2 year cleaning cycles, and heavy oil users will get a tune-up in between-change nozzle/filter/pump strainer, check safety devices, combustion test.
    steve
    Robert_H