Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I think I'm in love

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I was able to put my hands and eyes on a Viessmann CU3A today. Wow! Easy to service, 13.5 gallons of water in the smallest model, and what looks like a bullet-proof HX and burner. It's in my shop now and will be installing my first one before long. I'd love to hear what others think of it.

Steve Minnich

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Have only installed one, very nice! Takes up some space though
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    edited April 2018
    Yeah its a big one but still takes up less room than a boiler AND a buffer tank : )
    Steve Minnich
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Tank...enough said :wink:
    Tinman
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Variable primary is so simple and elegant.
    High mass, high efficiency makes so much sense. I've got the poor mans version with a Polaris and hacked controls. I live 5 minutes from the Viessmann factory in Waterloo, only got to inside once though.
    Tinman
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Pretty sure the HX has been used in Europe for many years, just made it over here 3 years ago AFAIK.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    13 gallons is nice. It takes a large cast boiler to get that type of water content these days, most are under 5 gallon capacity

maybe fixed output cast boilers are the application need for buffer tanks
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • We just placed our first CU3A in the boiler room yesterday and attended the Viessmann classes in Warwick, RI last month to go over installation and servicing.
    I love it that we are returning to high volume boilers, this time with condensing technology.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    I have not taken the classes yet but I will. Meanwhile, I'll read every manual as if it were a textbook with highlighter in hand.
    Steve Minnich