Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tank less waterheater

djfreni
djfreni Member Posts: 13
I am getting a new gas service installed and looking into buying a Navien NPE-240A . I've heard good things about them . Anyone familiar with this unit?

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    I've always been leery of tankless due to high initial cost, high repair cost potential and cost of maintenance which few are used to with conventional tanks.

Here's some interesting reading from a Wallie: http://gatewayplumbing.com/tankless-water-heaters-need-know/
    Dan FoleyHenry
  • djfreni
    Thankyou John
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, If you want to go tankless, get one with some storage built in; the more the better. You might want to have a look at HTP products for example.

Yours, Larry
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Tankless gas water heaters have their place in the market and so do tank type gas water heaters.
    Some TGWH have a 12 to 15 year heat exchanger warranty most tank type 6 year tank warranty.
    Navien NPE-240A model will deliver 5.4 GPM at a 70F temp rise. That is 324 GPH. Try that with an 50 gallon tank type water heater.
    The Navien NPE-240A has a built in domestic hot water recirculation pump. You can add an domestic hot water recirculation pump to it but that is an added expense.
    With any type water heater you should have your water tested to see if you have hard water.
    If you have hard water you should install an water softener.
    If you do not want an water softener you can install an Aquapure AP430SS filter that will help keep the tankless gas wate heater or tank type water heater from building up with hardness.
    All water heaters should be serviced once a year.
    TGWH should be flushed out and the venting checked yearly.
    Tank type water heater should be flushed out and venting checked yearly. Tank type water heater the anode rod should be pulled every 2 to 3 years and inspected and replaced as needed.
    Some gas utilities and state governments are giving rebates on high efficiency TGWH I do not know if they are giving rebates for tank type gas water heaters.
    TGWH should last 12 - 20 years.
    Tank type water heaters should last 8 - 15 years
    TGWH have a built in safety feature that if you set the outgoing water temp to 120F degrees that is the hottest the outgoing water temp will get to.
    With an tank type gas water heater to prevent scalding you need to add an water heater mixing valve. This is an added expense.
    With an tank type water heater you should store the water at 140F to 160F to prevent Legionella bacteria from growing in the tank and the possibility of someone contacting Legionaries disease.
    Like I said there is an market for TGWH and tank type gas water heaters.

• djfreni
    Thank you Larry, I'm leaning towards getting this one.I have a 50 gallon electric water heater now and its costing me a fortune. It runs out pretty quick too. It is in a crawlspace too. Another reason why I need to go tank less. I can't fit a conventional water heater in there. I am planning on putting it in my laundry room . Only place I can put it. The specifications say you must tee this off as the first appliance from the meter as it needs the btu's . I am a licensed plumber and doing all the work myself . I'm oversiziing the main anyway for future applications to 1 1/4 . But also running a dedicated 1 inch line about 50 feet in developed length to the Navien .my wife take long hot showers , so I hope this doesn't disappoint.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    A note on a crawl space and ANY equipment. JUST BECAUSE IT FITS DOESN'T MEAN THAT IS WHERE IT GOES! I can't tell you the places I've had to get to in order to service equipment. Out of sight, out of mind. One of the advantages of tankless is that they are relatively small. . You may find a better location for the tankless, depending upon your homes lay-out that would better serve you. Do not perpetuate the mistakes of the original low cost bidder. You will save a lot of dough with tankless, or what is quite common, you will use more hot water because you can without fear of going cold and you will not save quite as much. Go for it but do walk around the house and think location, location, location!
    djfreni
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, This is only a serving suggestion, (I'm not being pushy) but have a look at this HTP info: http://www.htproducts.com/literature/RGH75100-brochure.pdf It's halfway between tank and tankless... basically big burner and small storage. Might lower flow showerheads help? ;)

Yours, Larry
    Henry
  • djfreni
    Jack, I found a wall in my laundry rm/ 1/2 bath in the basement that I can put it on and the bathrooms are both right there too . Not much piping at all