Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Varivalve Quick Vents & Hissing

cleocleo
cleocleo Member Posts: 9
edited March 2018 in Strictly Steam
Just replaced the vents on all of my steam radiators with varivalve quick vents. Overall, the system is working well and all radiators are heating up evenly. However, I've noticed a few times per day one of the valves releases a very loud hiss for 2 seconds and then stops (can hear it from another room). Seems like the pressure has built up and the first valve the cool off makes the sound. Is this normal?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,475
    What kind of vent are using on the steam mains in the cellar? It sounds like that radiator valve might be doing more work than it can.

Varivalves are very fast and they can cause problems if they are used without careful thought. How far ioen are they? Check the radiators and make sure they aren't just hot across the top. If you vent a radiator too fast the steam can just shoot across without filling the radiator with steam, then the vent closes and you don't get all the geat you should out of that radiator.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    I had similar result with a medium sized radiator closer to the boiler in that it would open first after a heating cycle ended and relieve the vacuum that was present from the collapsed steam. I've since replaced with Hoffman 1a's and they are working without the big hiss.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It sounds like that vent opens before the Main vents do and you are hearing air being sucked back into the system to break a vacuum. What type main vents do you have and do you have enough main venting? I don't like the Varivalves on radiators. They tend to vent too aggressively.
  • cleocleo
    cleocleo Member Posts: 9
    Just checked and don't see any main vents in the basement. Heating a 1st floor condo (1000sqft). If the system is small enough are no main vents used?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,475
    The lack of main vents is serious, without them balancing the sysrem becomes very difficult. Are there any spots towards the enf of the steam main where a main vent might have been changed to a plug?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge