Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best water tank to pair with Indirect system

Options
pyrotalk
pyrotalk Member Posts: 7
Folks

My water tank (Amtrol 41 gal, WH-7L ) is leaking. I have owned it since 2006 so i am surprised it lasted this long. I need to replace it asap. I have an Indirect Well Mclain II boiler furnace. I think my options are limited. please advice

thanks

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    We really like the Lochinvar squire stainless indirect tank. Have had really good history with them. Maybe a SIT050 50 gallon tank. There is a chance a warranty still exists on your tank depending on model and serial #.
    delta T
  • tim smith
    Options
    are you the original owner? If so, call amtrol tommorow morning and see what if any warranty is on tank. If only a few hundred bucks go with the Lochinvar.
  • tim smith
    Options
    Just looked up warranty and only 10 yrs on tank. Sorry, look at above attachment for the lochinvar tank. Little more expensive but really good unit.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Lochinvar's are stainless steel with a lifetime warranty (in residential setting). Put many of them in with no problems, absolutely my go to indirect tank.
  • pyrotalk
    Options
    One plumber likes the Bradford White, SW-250RL-50 GALLON ($3.7K) but only has 5 year warranty for tank and heater exchanger.
    Another likes the WeilMclain Aquaplus ($2K), or the Buderus ($2.5K). Help.

What if i change to force air system in 3 years? my current baseboard makes crackling noises and is annoying.

• pyrotalk
    Options
    tim smith said:

We really like the Lochinvar squire stainless indirect tank. Have had really good history with them. Maybe a SIT050 50 gallon tank. There is a chance a warranty still exists on your tank depending on model and serial #.

Thanks. whats the pros to switching from 41 gal to 52 gal. The SIT050 is actually a 52gal tank
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Is your system hot water or steam? Either way, it should be completely silent , (unlike forced air), if properly maintained. Better to fix it instead of replacing it.—NBC
  • pyrotalk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What about the Burnham Model #AL35SL 35 Gallon? I has a 10yr manufacturer full warranty on tank. What are the cons to downgrading to smaller or bigger tank?
    My system is hot water
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The only con to smaller tanks is the amount of hot water on hand. Do you have a large bathtub to fill? Multiple showers all running at once? If not, the smaller tank will probably work fine.
    Our Bock indirect is 37 gallons. We have one walk in shower, no bathtub, and we never run out of hot water even with guests and back to back to back showers. Once the aqua stat clicks and the boiler goes into DHW mode it takes 10 minutes to fully recover. Boiler is set at 160 for DHW. Indirect is set at 140 and mixed down to 120.

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Personally I like the HTP Super Stor's, they outperform most if not all and have a great warranty, brochure and warranty below.

http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-ultra-waterheater.html

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-83.pdf#limitedwarranty

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    How many showers? Is there a large tub to fill?
    30 gallon or 40 gallon indirect water heater store the water temp some where between 140 - 160 degrees and use a mixing valve to send out 120 degree temp to faucets and if you pritorize the indirect water heater you should never run out of hot water. Just make sure the supply and return piping is large enough. Use the correct size pump.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    HTP superstor Ultra 45 gal.
  • Vinny_5
    Vinny_5 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I had an Amtrol Boiler Mate 41 gallon unit like yours that lasted 17 years and replaced it with a Lochinvar Squire SIT040 unit (40 Gallons) and am very happy with it. Lifetime warranty, all stainless steel tank. We can take 4 long showers back to back with no problems at all.
    http://www.lochinvar.com/_linefiles/SIT-02.pdf