Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Silly Taco Question

Options
Hi All,

I feel embarrassed asking this question but here goes. I recently installed my Taco SR501 single zone switching relay with my Nest thermostat and everything is working great. I was browsing this site and was looking at other Taco installations and noticed some leave this rigid white piece of paper inside the Taco box. I remembered that my Taco came with a rigid white piece of paper inside it and removed it before I installed it. I took a picture of it, it has the numbers 9300-2944 printed in the side of it. What's the purpose of it and why do some leave it inside their Taco box and others don't? What's the point of it?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture of mine and another picture of one I found on the site.

Long Island, NY

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    It separates line voltage wiring from low voltage wiring. Probably a UL requirement.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    newagedawnMark Eatherton
  • FredoSP
    FredoSP Member Posts: 90
    Options

It separates line voltage wiring from low voltage wiring. Probably a UL requirement.

Okay, that makes sense. I guess it's a personal preference to install it or not?
    Long Island, NY
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Just another NEC code requirement to make like difficult.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    I think it has to do with the number of terminal connections in the control. If there are enough terminals so wire nuts are not needed inside, including adequate ground screws, the separation is not needed.

I doubt you are the only one that removes the divider :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JUGHNE
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    "It separates line voltage wiring from low voltage wiring. Probably a UL requirement."

It's NEC requirement that the manufacturer must follow, for liability and other reasons. What you do with the divider is your responsibility.
  • FredoSP
    FredoSP Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses.

I wrote Taco and this was the response I received:
    You do not need it. It is just to show the separation of low voltage from high voltage.
    Long Island, NY
    kcoppSolid_Fuel_Man