Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lifespan of a GRUNDFOS Circulator

rt_2
rt_2 Member Posts: 86
I use a Grundfos circulator for my EVAC system. I've been using it for about 8 or 9 years now. Any idea what the lifespan of one of these pumps would be. The reason I ask is we are headed to FL for the winter again. In the past, I use to cover the array with a tarp so it did not run while we're gone. Last year, I ended up installing a heat exchanger in the loop so I can take advantage of the hot solar heated glycol and dump the heat in the basement. We had a fairly mild winter last year but I did burn only 1/2 of the fuel oil used to heat my house compared to previous years. So I believe it's working.
I'm afraid of the pump possible failing while I'm gone and end up with a mess. I'm thinking over the life span of this pump, it probably has run on average 8 hours a day for the last 8 or 9 years. Am I running on borrowed time? Should this question be asked in another section?

This is the circulator:
https://www.amazon.com/Grundfos-UPS15-58FRC-3-Speed-Circulator-59896343/dp/B003XEYLU0

Comments

• RyanW
    RyanW Member Posts: 31
    I have one from the early 1980s
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    mid 80s grundfos ups20-42
    still running, quiet as day 1
    it's been running 24/7 as a DHW recirc pump, no strainer..

that's about 280,000 hours of uptime :)

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Is the pump in a solar loop with glycol? If so you have freeze protection but not over-heat protection, I think that is the concern?

Also, check the fluid yearly in the solar, especially if it goes into stagnation conditions. When the glycol breaks down, ph plummets, sludge forms and the pumps life expectancy will be compromised. Fluid quality has a lot to do with the health and longevity of wet rotor style circulators.

Covering the array is a common method to eliminate those concerns, a roll of the dice I suppose., it is nice to capture and use that solar energy.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperJ
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    edited March 2018
    Like Hot Rod said. They last decades on properly maintained systems, but will fail sooner on poorly maintained systems as collateral damage. 8-9 years is a Grundfos teenager.

My father just had one fail at about 21 years on his geothermal ground loop.