Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What to do when heating season is over?

Options
ImYoungxD
ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
I'm a new home owner and not sure what to do after we no longer use the oil burner for months.
I currently have 1/4 oil left in the tank.
Should it remain low or should I fill it up around June/July when oil prices are lowest?
What do I do with the water in the tank?
What else should I be doing?

Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First there is no rhyme or reason to oil prices, so waiting for them to drop may not be a good economical decision.
    Are you getting heating oil or a bioheat?
    I'd do one of 2 things. I'd wait until fall, and have the oil company put in an additive, and fill the tank. A few days or more after that, I would have the boiler/furnace cleaned, full tune up, and have the tech drain a little oil off the bottom of the tank to check/remove any water that may have accumulated in the tank.
    Conventional thought is to fill the tank in the spring so no condensation can form in the tank.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    Options
    It seems like you have a cold start aquastat, meaning the burner will only fire with a heat call. Either that or you want to shut it down for the warm months, which is not a great idea.
    What provides the domestic hot water?
    First time dealing with oil heating?
    Post some pics of the boiler and water heater with surounding piping.
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I have heating oil which is only used for steam heating. Gas for everything else. As for the water in the tank what I really meant was the water in the boiler. Do I leave it alone?

I have hot water heating for the basement (have aquastat) and steam for 1st and 2nd floor.
    The basement calls for heat to the aquastat. I don't need heat in the basement so it's always at 50F
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    If your not familiar with steam boilers you either have to read up on them extensively to learn how to take care of it or have a steam qualified plumber take care of it for you every year and hope whoever installed the steam boiler did the installation correctly.

• New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

Weep.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Canucker
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    But once having dried your eyes, -you should keep your oil tank full. Have them top it off when heating season ends. Otherwise, in your warm, humid, & summer basement condensate will form in the tank, and water in the tank is never your friend.

Next you should also call your favorite steam professional and have him go through your boiler and system for annual maintenance, making sure you're ready for next winter.

Then, and only then, may you turn your sights to mowing the lawn.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options

Weep.

Rejoice, my LP bill goes away :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I have to continue hauling anthracite rice coal for the 2018-19 heating season stockpile and then continue hauling coal every month when the heating season starts.

I have no oil bill(my tank is empty) My old oil dealer made the mistake of letting my oil tank run out four times and I barely use any propane during the heating season.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    leonz said:

I have to continue hauling anthracite rice coal for the 2018-19 heating season stockpile and then continue hauling coal every month when the heating season starts.

I have no oil bill(my tank is empty) My old oil dealer made the mistake of letting my oil tank run out four times and I barely use any propane during the heating season.

Happy 100 years ago
    steve
    Dan_NJSuperTech