Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Failing PEX Crimp Ring?

Javelin
Javelin Member Posts: 138
Dear Pros, I've done a ton of PEX crimps in my life, never had a problem, always get a "go" on my go/no-go gauge, etc... always just seems straightforward. HOWEVER - this morning just by change I saw this crimp on a 1" tee. Has anyone seen this before? Does it mean failure is imminent? It could have been like this for a day or 4 years for all I know.

I've tuned the main water off as a precaution and plan to re-crimp it this afternoon, but am now nervous about any other connections. Admittedly, 1" is a bit harder to work with than smaller diameters, but I thought as long as I got a "go", I was in good shape.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Jay

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    1 out of how many crimped joints you've done in your business? I seriously doubt its a crimp ring failure situation. Looks more like a fitting dezincification issue to me, which pretty much every major tubing manufacturer has experienced. I'd just cut it out and do it again...

No sense in losing sleep over lost water :wink:

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    kcopp
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hello, If you do replace the fitting, it would be fun to see a photo of the brass and see if it looks de-zincified and just how it shows up. :) Maybe replace it with a polysulfone fitting?

Yours, Larry
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Just a guess , nick in the fitting edges???
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Judging by the ring on the left side it looks like the tube ID, inside diameter may have been too large, the rings can only handle so much out of tolerance.
    I've seen some pex with oversized ID that you can wobble around on the fitting.

If the fitting spins easily after the crimp, something is out of whack, either the tool adjustment or tube- fitting tolerance.

When you take apart old crimp fittings it's amazing how little actually seals, those stains go out to the last barb, often.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374

1 out of how many crimped joints you've done in your business? I seriously doubt its a crimp ring failure situation. Looks more like a fitting dezincification issue to me, which pretty much every major tubing manufacturer has experienced. I'd just cut it out and do it again...

No sense in losing sleep over lost water :wink:

ME

I see this a lot in western Indiana.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Milrose makes a "ringbuster".. you could pop off the ring and see what you can identify for a weak spot.
    May be a damaged fitting or a scratch in the inside of the pex. Is this well or city water?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Also, to me it looks like the tee is sagging??
  • Javelin
    Javelin Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for the replies all.. So I misunderstood.. I replace the crimp RING last night, but not the tee (didn't have any handy). I guess I'll get another tee and try it again... Not really sure.. It IS city water, and it's supported on either side of the tee about 1 foot on either side, so while it looks like it's sagging a bit, it's really not. Plus the whole thing with 1" is really pretty rigid.
  • Anarchist1
    Anarchist1 Member Posts: 3
    Maybe it's time for a new crimping tool. It might be worn from years of use. If the tolerances are so small that might explain it. Just a thought.
    Dave.
  • vantien2405
    vantien2405 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020
    We need to use tools check after installation

https://www.sharkbite.com/products/stainless-steel-clamp-ring
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    I like Oetiker PEX Clamps on Sharkbite B pex.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    I like to use Viega Press sleeves
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    I think Uponor pex expander rings and fittings are the best. Best positive connections and best flow through fittings.
    mattmia2
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    I like to use Viega Press sleeves