Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

“Recessed Radiator” single pipe steam

Good Morning Everyone,
My questions lies to what would be the optimal piping arrangement to minimize the sediment build up.

This radiator is used in a single pipe steam system.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Comments

• Keeping the steam dry with good boiler piping will keep this rusty sediment to a minimum.
    Once you clean it out, reinstall it and don’t worry about it for another 30? Years. Keep it properly pitched towards the inlet valve.—NBC
  • Bigbri0104
    Bigbri0104 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the information NBC!
    I was wondering if anyone has ever piped a radiator of this design similar to the example given on page 163 in the "Lost art of steam Heat."
    I understand the example given on this specific page is in reference to baseboard radiators, but i was curious if anyone has tested this theory with larger recessed radiators.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Recessed cast iron radiators are common enough on 2-pipe steam systems.
  • Bigbri0104
    Thanks for all the information everyone!
    NBC - I didn't mention this earlier in the thread, but I did re-pipe my near boiler piping to produce drier steam, and I replaced over 90 percent of my main steam lines and risers to accommodate a new radiator and to re-position my existing radiators.
    During the process of re-piping, I added a few extra T-fittings to my main steam lines to speed up the venting process.
    I also re-insulted my mains and risers with 1" inch fiberglass insulation.
    It was a big project, but well worth the effort my boiler doesn't bang on start ups and the house heats faster then before.

However, which piping option would optimize less sediment build up with the recessed radiator I posted in this thread?

option 1# - the traditional single pipe setup having the radiator pitched back towards the supply valve?

Option 2# - Piping the recessed radiator and pitching it as explained on page 163 of "Lost Art if Steam Heat." away from the supply valve?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @Bigbri0104, page 163 of laosh speaks about traps, used on two pipe systems. If you have a one pipe system, you can't pitch the radiator away from the supply unless you are going to add a drip on the opposite side of the radiator. Option #1 is what you probably want to do. Is the crud from that radiator a build up over the life of that radiator? If so, I'd just clean it out and reinstall it properly with a pitch towards the supply.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    just clean it out, put the plug back and ignore it. Pitch the radiator to the supply valve. That's a dead pocket in that radiator when used in a 1 pipe system, will always collect water/sediment, but it can't go anywhere and will do no serious harm if the radiator is pitched toward the other (supply) end.
  • Bigbri0104
    Thanks everyone for your guidance.
    Yes, it is a one pipe steam system, and I will flush the radiator out and reconnect it to the supply valve.
    In reference to what Gary said its the design of the radiator to why it collects rust and sediment in that specific location.

Thanks Gents