Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Storage

Options
shaunson
shaunson Member Posts: 1
A lot of places offer cheaper prices the more oil you order. Our tank is only 250 gallons. Outside of buying an exact copy of the tank we have, are there any storage solutions to keep the oil to later but into the tank ourselves to get lower prices? Thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Some oil companies will offer a lock in price for the season (or 2). I don't think it's a great idea, but some people like it. I sell at market price and generally beat lock-ins 7 out of 10 years-especially when you consider the fees, etc. Sometimes you hit a home run and save, the rest of the time you're paying more than the market price.
    Other than that, you would need 2 tanks.
    In general, most oil companies have pricing tiers:
    1 price for 50 gallons.
    1 price 100 gallons.
    1 price 150 gallons or more.
    After 150, not a lot more in the way of a discount unless you're getting a large amount.
    Also, heating oil doesn't really store well, especially bio-heat. So you really don't want to store more than you will use, only to save a few bucks. You'll pay for it in service.
    steve
    New England SteamWorksSuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    Options
    You could do what you said, get another 275 tank and twin them for a 550 capacity. But don't keep running low as the tanks will be prone to condensation.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Problem is the oil you get today starts breaking in 6 months ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    Now that I think about it, it does seem like I find more plugged nozzles, filters and strainers on systems supplied by two or more tanks. And especially when you combine multiple tanks with two pipe oil line systems. And condensation in the tank should be avoided at all costs.