Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rheem imperial 90-plus keeps shutting off

Options
troy969
troy969 Member Posts: 3
My rheem imperial 90-plus keeps shutting off. There is a little red button below the blower that "trips" and then then pilot will not light again until i push it down. The blower is blowing continuously. My blower housing has a crack in it so i will be replacing that now matter what.

Any idea why this is happening?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    That red button is a manual reset for flame rollout protection.
    With the crack in the blower housing it may not create enough air flow thru the heat exchanger to draw the fire in where it should.

This is a potentially dangerous situation for CO poisoning, at best the fire rolls out and burns up controls and wiring.
    Replace blower ASAP. It might fix it.

Some here might shut it down and hang a red tag on it.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    That sucker is at least 30 years old. Something fishy. I wouldn't run it til a PRO looks it over CAREFULLY and determines it safe. With a rollout tripping, I doubt it is! Have them check that heat exchanger very carefully for cracks & rust holes! Looks like an RGEA.
  • troy969
    Options
    The heat exchanger was replaced in 01
  • troy969
    Options
    Why would the blower be running non stop.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    That unit may not be "smart" enough. But today most will run that fan if the limit circuit opens like yours did.......or you still have a call for heat.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    You really do need to have your service man look at it. Everything screams bad things going on with it. Even though the heat exchanger was changed out 17 years ago.......
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    That's got an old L4064 fan limit. If the limit is open, the fan sure better be on with that sucker.