Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Filters,Tigerloops, 1 Line, 2 Line

ERF
ERF Member Posts: 51
Is this over kill?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Maybe, maybe not. Why do you ask. Do you have a dirty oil tank or leaking oil lines?
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    way over kill, only need 1 filter, and why are you using a tiger loop? also, how are you going to stop the flow of oil when you change the other two spin on's need a shut of before them not after
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    That looks ridiculous. If your oil is that dirty or requires that much filtration, treat/clean/replace the oil tank.
    steve
  • ERF
    @newagedawn there is another shut off upstream of the supply to the filters. First filter is water separator and large particle filter, other 2 are 10 micron. Underground tank always has some water.
  • ERF
    @STEVEusaPA may look ridiculous but it helps keep sludge, water, dirt out of the pump. Lost 2 pumps due to binding up. Could have been bad oil, or additive company added before I could stop them, and or water due to corrosion. I feel it is cheap insurance.
    rick in Alaska
  • ERF
    @EBEBRATT-Ed no leaking oil lines, dirty oil tank ,certainly water. Tigerloop is a band aid . This was originally 2 line system within 1 inch off the bottom of in ground tank. Ran fine for years until it was changed over to 1 line.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    1" off the bottom is NG. If tis is what you need to keep it running I guess that's what you gotta do. I would think additive would only help
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    That's crazy. I run a general filter at the tank and a tiger loop ultra at the boiler and I never had a problem with crap on the nozzle or pump strainer. I draw oil from the bottom of the tank. I don't like the idea of having the pick up line 1" from the bottom. I would go about 4 or 5 inches to avoid pulling crap from the bottom of the old tank.

How much vacuum do you pull on the oil pump with that set up?
  • ERF
    @EBEBRATT-Ed additive is Fuel Right , yes it helps, been using it for years.
  • ERF
    @SuperTech last time I looked was pulling 6 inches Hg through 1/2 line 5 feet up from bottom of tank , then about 3 feet under ground through 2 foot wall where it transitions to 3/8 copper line and safety valve . From that point it is 9 more feet to the filters.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    That's definitely on high side of acceptable vacuum. I was taught that 7" and over is too high.
    Considering that you have an oil quality issue you should definitely keep an eye on the oil filters. How often do need to replace them? It takes me a couple of heating seasons before I need to change out the spin on filter, I replace the general filter at my tank every fall.
  • ERF
    @SuperTech pump filter screen as of 2/1/2018. Water separator filter installed Sept 2017 , 10 micron filters installed 11/2016
  • ERF
    @SuperTech not heating . This is my filter system for a 8KW diesel generator. You don't want this to go down in an ice storm with freezing temps and no Utility Power for 3 weeks.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    if your getting water in your tank that is the problem, water and oil dont mix, by putting all that overkill isnt solving the root problem ,...your tank leaks,...time for a new one and watch these troubles go away
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ERF
    @newagedaw tank does not leak, it's water from condensation. When I take cap off fill pipe on a freezing day the inside of pipe is coated in frost. When the temperature gets above freezing frost melts and water drips back into tank. Granted its not much water but it is still there.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    ERF said:

@SuperTech not heating . This is my filter system for a 8KW diesel generator. You don't want this to go down in an ice storm with freezing temps and no Utility Power for 3 weeks.

=====================================================

What made you decide to do it this way????????
    Is the Diesel engine on this generator set an indirect injection Duetz, or Kubota engine??

I have a Racor 500FG fuel filter with 10 micron filtration that I could bring down to 2 micron.

The single Racor drop in filters for the 500FG are good for 10,000 gallons per change out.

The Racor 500FG filter has a stationary turbine vanes that spin the kerosene through the filter to separate the dirt and water to let it settle out to the bottom. The Racor 500FG has a sediment and water collection bowl that I can drain manually.

The Racor 500FG also has a fuel heater option that uses a 12 volt feed to the heater in the sediment bowl.

• ERF
    @leonz diesel engine is a Perkins bought back in 2006. At that time I was working out of 6 gal containers and only using filter on the engine. Current configuration was depicted on web-site where I bought my gen-set, went with that. As matter of fact was looking a Parker-Racor web-site last night. Will probably be going with Racor as up grade for generator and oil burner. I can't say enough about the Perkins, it has saved my bacon so many times and worth the price many times over.