Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Primary Control

Options
So I have a Carrier oil furnace that keeps having control board failure (R99G004). I ended up switching the oil control from a r8184g1427 to a r7284u1004 which will do everything but run the fan. Is there anything out there that will do the fan controls when the burner shuts down or do I need to just buy a whole new board for $100? Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You need to find out why your board is failing, unless you like buying and replacing them. I don't understand why you would switch the primary.
    steve
  • Hemihavoc102
    Hemihavoc102 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Primary failed this year so I figured I'd upgrade. The main board seems to fail every 2 years. The placement is directly above the flame inspection cover which releases heat and some occasional soot which is never great for a circuit board.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Ahhh heat will kill it. Maybe you aren't drafting properly.
    I don't understand why the fan isn't running. The fan comes off of the board, or a fan relay, doesn't have anything to do with the primary unless your original primary was an r8184M. Then your new primary would need the AC ready kit.
    steve
  • Hemihavoc102
    Hemihavoc102 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    No, the fan runs off the main board (R99G004). Now with the new oil primary controller, it will take care of everything without the main board (run ignition, burner motor, and high limit) it just won't turn the fan on and off. Right now I have the fan wired to a 120v constant so it always runs. I'm just hoping for a simpler and cheaper way to run the fan once the box gets hot and the burner shuts off.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    old time fan limit switch would work.

Or relocate the board and rewire. I would check draft, flue pipe, chimney and clean furnace if heat is coming out the observation port
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    A relay would get things done. I would use a RIBU1C relay until the new board can be installed.