Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

drain cock dripping question

Options
kredmore
kredmore Member Posts: 53
Drained my 50 year old hot water boiler (working fine). Draincock now drips at shutoff valve.Put a cap on it temporarily. Getting the seat washer out or the entire valve (for new ball valve) will be difficult. Low location without much room, and may not move easily as it's original.

Can I just leave the brass cap on and check the rubber washer each season when draining/re-filling?

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ^ I did exactly that with my 50+ year old boiler, not that it was the right thing to do.. but it worked for several years before I replaced the boiler.
    Grallert
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Yes, you can just leave the cap on it or, you may be able to add a ball valve to the old shut-off valve.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd drain it and repack it-replace the washer if there is one, too. I've used this packing my plumber gave me, he calls it lamp wick, and I have a small kit of various washers It's nice to ditch the brass caps.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Just leave the cap on it but remove it once a year and replace the washer. If you want to put a new valve in do it during the summer
  • kredmore
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Cap/Ball Valve for now, then decide if worth it as a summer project. Probably not, as it's just the drain and not worth the effort/risk.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    You can find flat, solid rubber washers for hose caps. We use them to cap off solar fill purge valves. More so people don't hook a garden hose to the glycol circuit :)
    The rubber, EPDM is the same as the guts inside the valve, it should last a long time if not disturbed.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kredmore
    Options
    Good point about the washer, both material and inside the valve. Since it's just a drip at the drain, will just cap it with an EPDM washer. Thank you.