Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello has a hiccup

TLM
TLM Member Posts: 38
Have a 1.5 yr old Riello oil burner 40F3 in a Biasi B10/4 boiler. Had been running for a year or better. It just started this hiccup. It goes thru the prepurge and solenoid clicks fire for a second and drops. Sometimes 1,2,5 times then fires up and runs like it’s supposed to. Pump is at 175 psi. New nozzle. Oil line etc. changed pump. Changed coil. Still acting up. Just for fun I put a new primary control box on. Still does it bit not as much. Help?
Mount Pleasant Plumbing and Heating Inc

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Combustion numbers? Smoke test?
    steve
  • TLM
    374 gross stack, 315 net, 11.1CO2, 27ppm CO, 0-1smoke (trace). .02”+ over Fire -.024”breech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Try cutting down on the air a bit and retest. CO2 should go up and CO down.
    Should not even have a trace smoke. 0 only. It's not even a question with the Biasi and an F3.
    What nozzle do they spec with the Biasi?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Is there any chance air is getting in to the line? Does this have a return line back to the tank? Do you have a "tigerloop" installed? My thinking is if there is an air pocket formed after the burner has shut off for awhile, it might have to cycle a few times to get the air out.
    Also, is this chimney vented or sidewall vented, and when you changed the pump, did you change the coupler?
    Rick
  • TLM
    They spec a 85 60 W. I’m at 60 60 W and increased pump pressure.
    Spoke with Riello they said large spark gap should fix it. Due to low sulphur fuel and higher flash point. Riello also gives you a shot of spark not 10 seconds like others.
    Going to try that. Will report back
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    TLM said:

Spoke with Riello they said large spark gap should fix it. Due to low sulphur fuel and higher flash point...
    Going to try that. Will report back

That isn't it. Whoever told you that at Riello is wrong.
    I initially thought about @HVACNUT recommendation, because that sounds like a classic too much air. But cutting back on air will give a higher soot number.
    But cutting back on air and adjusting the head may do the trick, checking with smoke gun and analyzer along the way.

I would go back to the original settings, and original nozzle, then start thinking like @rick in Alaska suggests. First check the system for a vacuum leak, then power purge the fuel line.
    It's a shame you threw the whole Riello service kit at it.
    steve
  • PatN
    PatN Member Posts: 19
    I had a similar problem with a BF3. The fix was installing a new valve stem. I went through two valve stems within 30 days . The third one's the charm. I am burning B-20 which I believe may have contributed to the problem.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    does the power to the solenoid drop out during this time? Or does it stay solid 120v
  • PatN
    PatN Member Posts: 19
    The power was fine. The valve stem would stick. I tried to clean the stem but that would only last a few days. The last stem I installed seemed to be old stock judging from the dust and grime on the container it came in.