Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to fix leaking cast iron baseboard radiator?

I have single pipe steam heat in my house. I have a 14 foot cast iron baseboard radiator in my living room. Recently, where two of the 2 foot sections join together has started leaking water. I took it off the wall and took apart the sections. The bottom connector between the sections is completely rusted out. How do i replace these? And where can I buy replacement connectors? I've done a little research and i think they are called push nipples but I'm not 100% sure.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Can you post a picture?
  • nate70500
    nate70500 Member Posts: 38

The connector is still in the radiator on the top section but the bottom one is out. I plan on replacing them all while I do it, I just want to make sure I get the right parts.
  • Phil53
    Phil53 Member Posts: 73
    Looks like Weil Mclain Snug Baseboard. You can probably order the push nipples from any plumbing supply hose that handles Weil Mclain. Might be able to order on line from Supply House also.
    nate70500
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Looks identical to Burnham BaseRay and Gov-Board cast iron radiators.

Most plumbing supply houses carry them. There are two different size push nipples, bring one of your with you for easy/correct sizing. Get new tie bolts and foot supports.. you're talking under $10 for 4 of them.

You'll need to rent the Burnham Assembly tool from the supply house to join the sections back together with the new nipples.
    nate70500Steve_210
  • nate70500
    nate70500 Member Posts: 38
    Ive tried my local plumbing supply houses and none of them carry these. Theyve all said to order them online since it isnt worth the shipping for them to order them. Can anyone give me a link to get them? My push nipples have a 3/4 in diameter and the hole in the baseboard radiator is 1 in diameter. The ones that I can find online (that actually have a picture) don't seem to have a small lip in the middle on the outside like mine do.
    j a_2
  • BigRedKevbot
    BigRedKevbot Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat - seems that at some point someone used some Hitemp JB Weld Sealant to "fix" our 9a Burnham Baseray. Before I reconnect everything, I'd rather fix it for good. 

Any idea on how to avoid buying a $360 assembly tool? We only have 9a units in one room, the other rooms use smaller ones which I don't think are prone to leaking. (House is from 1957, and shows no signs of leaks yet)
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Inserting the push nipples can be done by using a piece of hardwood and tapping it it in with a wood mallet. First clean out the hole with a wire wheel on an electric drill, then lubricate the hole and push nipple with pipe dope.

You can pull the whole thing together with the pull rods. After the pull rods do their job back off the nuts a little so there will room for expansion and contraction.

Also, you can pull the sections tighter by using a ratcheted come along. Wrap the cable around the convector and crank it till the ratchet can no longer be cranked easily.

I have done this on several occasions and it worked well.

Jake