Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett ROCB-072 oil leak

Options
Getbac70
Getbac70 Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone, I had a new system installed 18 months ago. No issues last winter at all. This winter, I am seeing a slow leak at the burner casing. There also appears to be a slight backflow of oil where the burner meets the air inlet. Once the cycle shuts off, a very small amount of oil rests at that connection point. Once the next cylce starts, it will be sucked back into the system.

It takes a couple days for the oil leak at the casing seam to get enough to drip onto the floor. So this appears to be a very slow leak.

Any thoughts on what may be causing the issue? The annual heating service was completed about 3 months ago, with no issues. If any other photos would be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    could be at the nozzle line. Could be the nozzle.. I would suggest having your service provider return to check the issue..
  • Getbac70
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I will be giving them a call soon. Just wanted to get an idea of what may be happening before I call.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Could be the pump seal.
    Still under warranty?
  • Getbac70
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would think so. Beckett has a 60 month warranty from date of manufacture. Mine is listed with a manufacture date of 2/11/16
  • Getbac70
    Options
    Service provider came out today, indicated he could not find anything specific causing the leak. Advised me that he "tightened up some connections" and to keep an eye on it and call back if it continues.

Not exactly the resolution or peace of mind I was hoping for... My gut says I will be staying home from work again in the near future to have someone come out to resolve the issue.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I have had the fuel line leak right where it hooks to the nozzle line on the outside of the burner because of a bad flare. The lines leaks just a little bit, but you don't see it as well because the fuel gets sucked right in to the burner housing through the combustion air holes. I use a lot of Odorgon powder for finding leaks and drying out leaks. I just put some in the palm of my hand and blow on it toward the leak until it it dusted. You can see the leaks a lot quicker that way.
    That stuff is great for cleaning up fuel and killing the smell.
    Rick
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I've found that sometimes a very hot chamber can heat the nozzle, nozzle adapter and oil tube up enough to expand the oil inside of these causing it to drip out of the nozzle. you can check this by looking for evidence of oil at the bottom of the air tube.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Probably 1 of 3 things:

Pump seal
    Leaking nozzle line

Or the burner blast tube should pitch down slightly towards the boiler. Heat from the combustion chamber as @Grallert mentioned can cause the oil nozzle to drip a few drips occasionally. The burner should be set or pitched so any drips are toward the combustion chamber