Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator valve heights

Options
Terran
Terran Member Posts: 8
Hi all, happy new year! I've gotten some very useful advice here and I wanted to give something back. I recently learned that not all steam radiator valves are the same height, and it's not just an old-vs-today difference, they're made today in different sizes.

In these pictures, front and back for 1 1/4" and for 1", a Bluefin valve I got from supplyhouse is on the left, and a Marsh valve from nyrpgroup is on the right. The Marsh valves have a spec sheet which gives the dimensions from the bottom to the centerline of the union, but the others don't; you can see they're about a ¼" shorter. I think the pictures got put in a random order when I uploaded them, unfortunately.

Hope this helps someone get a replacement valve that matches and avoid having to rework the pipe!
Mark N

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Three years ago I had all my radiators refinished and replaced all the valves with Marsh. I had no issues at all. All the rads matched up perfectly with the Marsh valves. Much higher quality than the imported ones.
    Brent H.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    The fact that the better valve is taller and has what looks to be a larger internal passageway for counterflow steam, means that there is more meat/brass in it.
    Just by weight alone you get more for your money.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I notice the Marsh valve doesn't have a packing nut around the valve stem though. I assume you have to take the entire bonnet off and repack from the inside?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    But how often does that get done? Every 40 years maybe?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

But how often does that get done? Every 40 years maybe?

Yea, about the time you have to virtually twist and grind on that bonnet to break it loose. When I replace something like that, I smile and think to myself; "I'll be dead before it becomes an issue for someone". :D
    JUGHNE
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Marsh valves are packless.
    JUGHNEmisterheat