Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a little hole in cast iron radiator

Dear Sirs,I encounter a problem with a hole in a cast iron radiator.I used a special glue to fix it with no result at all.
What is your opinion about welding that little hole?
thanks in advance!

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 654
    In my experience welding cast iron is only for experts, and not something I would do at a job site.

You might try plugging the hole with a screwed plug. The size of the hole will determine the size of the plug needed.

For this repair, you will need a suitable drill and tap. For sealing the threads, I recommend wicking grade Loctite # 290 threadlocker.

In fact, Loctite recommends this sealer for sealing porous castings, and may seal your leak on it's own.

Do some research on Loctite 290 for sealing porous castings. This will tell you what's involved.

Good luck.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • greekengineer
    greekengineer Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your response but the hole's diameters is about as the head of a needle...
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    That's the size you see. In my experience a corrosion hole is the tip of the iceberg. Around that hole it is most likely thinned out from corrosion. The recommendation above is a good one, but again no guarantees.

As has been said cast iron welding is a serious specialty requiring special filler rod and typically an oven pre heat of the metal.

Some people have had success with JB Weld. Make sure the area is very clean before trying any repair.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15