Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett lockout

phoneman87
phoneman87 Member Posts: 11
Hi guys, frustrated new homeowner here haha. So I've been having lockout issues, carrier furnace, beckett burner. First time techs came out, said line needed to be bled, replaced nozzle and filter. Still locking out. Second time out, told me to replace overhead fuel line. Tank and furnace are in basement, line comes from under tank then goes to joists, runs about 12 feet then down to burner. Replaced line now on ground. Third time out, replaced fuel pump and primary control with beckett R7284U. Still locking out. Error code says no ignition check igniter. I'm kind of handy but just wondering if you guys know something these techs dont. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Certainly seems like the igniter.
    You can probably pick one up yourself and replace it. It's easy. Make sure power is off, and stop payment to the so called "techs".
    They just threw parts at it instead of actually diagnosing the problem.
    STEVEusaPArick in Alaskaphoneman87
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    could be a failed cad cell, wow sounds like you need a new service company!!!!!
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    phoneman87
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Could be a fuel issue, when did you get fuel last? Has this started occurring since? Have you put any treatments in lately?
    phoneman87
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Although I agree with @HVACNUT, I wouldn't stop payment on a check. In my area, it's actually a 3rd class felony, and the 'damaged' party may be entitled to up to 3X the amount of the check.
    But I would call the company back and ask for some or all the money back. They didn't properly diagnose and fix the problem. If that doesn't work, tell them you're calling your local TV station's consumer reporter.
    steve
    CTOilHeatphoneman87Canucker
  • phoneman87
    Haha thanks guys, well they took the primary control off since it still locked out, then put it back on and told us merry christmas. They've been pretty good though, just because it is an intermittent problem we've been working together. We did witness air in the line at first and I of course bought the most expensive coated copper tubing so there is the cost of that, but seems like it helped. I have a full fuel tank. I think I'm going to try the igniter next, it's one now the smaller electric beckett ones. Will they intermittently cause a lockout or just completely fail? Sorry for the late responses, I thought I would get an email notification for your responses, I was sitting here like jeez nobody knows how to help me? Haha thanks guys
  • phoneman87
    edited December 2017
    And Dennis, sorry I thought you were asking about the amount of fuel. I didn't use any additive but that sounds like a good idea. Thing is when we bleed it now after new pump and line it's a nice clean stream of fuel. But I guess with an intermittent problem everything looks good until it's not.
  • phoneman87
    I took a video of it, not sure if I can post it on here or not but I'll try.
  • phoneman87
    Video
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Nothing posted
  • phoneman87
    Sorry says video is too long, in the video it shows the display on primary control: call for heat, then valve on delay, 15 seconds then at the 0:00 second mark of the countdown, when the ignition trial starts, there's a noise that I think is just the pump pushing oil, at the end of the 10 second ignition trial after no flame, it says hard lockout. Diagnostic error check says, NO IGNITION CHECK IGNITER.
  • phoneman87
    And I can instantly tell when it's going to lock out after the valve on delay. It makes a distinctly different noise during the ignition trial.
  • phoneman87
    Actually it's a 10 second ignition trial not 15 sorry. I think you're right and it's probably just the electric igniter, also beckett. I just haven't bought it yet because the techs want to come tomorrow to replace the whole burner instead of just replacing more parts. If you guys have any last minute info I'd appreciate it. I'm at my wits end with this thing. Thanks.
  • DZoro
    Have them at least check the igniter first! Entire burner,,,,,,talk about throwing parts at it.
  • phoneman87
    I know right, it's the owner of the company that's saying to just replace the whole burner. I think he's frustrated that the techs have been out this many times and haven't figured it out, so I'm hoping that he's not going to charge me full price if there's more that can be done.
  • phoneman87
    He said he thinks it's getting low voltage to the motor or something, I'm not too sure.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Sad

He said he thinks it's getting low voltage to the motor or something, I'm not too sure.

That's jibberish at best. Maybe it's the flux capacitor or the diddly do wop...I can make up stuff too!

No one can diagnose and fix this?
    You need a new company.
    steve
    rick in AlaskaHVACNUT
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    When will you learn, you just have to reform the dilithium crystals - it's always the dilithium crystals.

You would be amazed how well that worked with the managers at the post office, it got them off my back every time.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • phoneman87
    That helps.
  • DZoro
    What did the"techs" find ?