Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Types of boiler room system backing board

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
I anticipate within a few months I'll have a new boiler either on or in front of a sheetrocked wall. Once I get the 5/8 sheetrock up and painted, there's a choice of surfaces to attach the supplies, returns, circs, etc. Plywood seems the usual--I probably won't go for the diamond plate, etc. I'd like to paint the plywood probably a dark color to make it look good. The wall is 7ftH x 10+ft long. I'll probably just buy one 8x4 plywood, paint it, and let the installer decide the size of it, cut it and put it up. Seems funny to cover fireproof sheetrock with flammable wood--any other materials recommended?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I've used these .040 painted aluminum sheets. I get them from a local sign shop. They often have discounted scratched ones, usually one side is workable. All colors available. Easy to clean up after flux splatters, etc.

I used regular galvanized metal from a HVAC supply also, if you like the industrial look.

A local metal supplier has copper, stainless, brass, unpainted metals in stock, sometimes you can fins 48 X120"

I've tried melamine board also, not so durable, easily burned while soldering.

It really comes down to the look you want and your $$.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    D107HVACNUT
  • D107
    Painted aluminum looks great. That would be screwed into or glued onto the plywood, yes?
  • hot_rod
    yes screws with finishing washers:)
    Usually you have enough "things" mounted to it to keep it in place. I suppose dabs of liquid nail would work, or double sided tape.

I have a metal break and would sometimes bend the edges for smaller panels.

The brushed aluminum is another nice finish, it doesn't show scratches.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    D107
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Ive always liked the faux diamond plate I often see but it seems costly. A Buderus brochure shows the walls the same color as the boiler. I'll just call it Buderus Blue. Looks pretty cool.
    D107
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    You can buy fire retardant plywood. Some locations require it when mounting electrical circuit breaker panels.
    D107
  • D107
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Thanks, well given this would be on an exposed basement wall, perhaps to avoid the offgassing of the chemicals in such wood I might be better off coating standard plywood with an emission-free fire retardant paint.
  • Boring
    Boring Member Posts: 47
    We installed radiant many years ago and the plumbing is mounted to unistrut attached to a framed wall. If I were to do this over I would try and keep the plumbing isolated from the wall framing as the wall/framing resonates the buzz from transformers and hum of pumps. At some point I am going to try and build a unistrut frame that screws to the basement floor and bridges up and over to screw into a poured wall...ie. isolate the plumbing from the wood framing and getting away from the "soundboard" affect that is happening with everything attached to wood framing.... am I nuts or is this valid?
    D107
  • D107
    You'll have to wait for a pro to answer your question; as for the noise I intend to use a foam tape about 1.5" wide 1/8" thick affixed to the studs and the sheetrock over that.
  • hot_rod
    If you use strut for mounting, this type of clamp give you noise isolation and allows some expansion/ contraction movement.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    CanuckerHVACNUT