Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to wrap wick on pipe thread

Bing
Bing Member Posts: 6
I am replacing a radiator on a steam heating system with 1-1/4" steel pipe. I want to seal the threads with quick wick and pro dope. What is the procedure to wrap the wick on the threads?
Thank you
Bing

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Do you mean hemp, or the teflon string that Loctite makes?

With hemp, separate some strands from the bunch and wrap around the male thread, some pipe dope, not much to keep it on the threads.

The hemp is making the seal, the pipe dope helps glue it to the male thread. The true pros in Europe just use hemp, no dope.

Here is the hemp they sell in plumbing supply and hardware stores in Europe.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Think he just means wick @hot rod. I start one strand at the back of the threads, going across all of the threads to the front. Then I begin wrapping it around the threads clock wise.
  • Bing
    Bing Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for late response, holiday family prep you know.
    What I'm asking is in line with Danny's comment. I took some pictures (not the best) to hopefully illustrate what I think he is saying. I may be wrong.

(1) The wick cuts across from back to front of thread.

(2) Wick wrap groove of thread front to back clockwise

(3) 1-1/4inch union and ball of wick

Are the pictures correct, and if they are, is a single winding enough?
    I understand that I should put some dope before and after the wick is wounded on the thread
    Bing

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Why do you even think you need to use wick on a 1.25" pipe? Dope and tape should be plenty.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    That’s it @bing! Good decoding :wink: now apply some mega lock or whatever pipe sealant you prefer.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Teflon and pipe dope is good .. Bulding an circulator manifold with quick wick and dope will give you an stiffer structure .. They both have their place ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all