Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Indirect water heater

Options
I'm about to have my SuperStor indirect water heater replaced. It is old, is leaking a bit at and doesn't supply enough hot water to fill our large bathtub. Plumber I am working with is recommending HTC SSU 60. I have an older (Maybe 13 years old) Weil McLain Gold Oil boiler. Boiler services steam heat and one small forced hot water zone as well as the water heater. I've looked on line but didn't see much in the way of reviews so I thought I'd ask the experts. Is this a good choice? What questions should I be asking? Basically, I don't know what I don't know. Thanks!

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    HTP is a very good indirect water heater. I would think that the SSU45 would be plenty to fill a bath tub. Obviously the 60 has more storage but it has a slower recovery rate than the 45. There could be something else in the system that's causing it to fall short of its duty.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • MikeJ
    MikeJ Member Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a 40 gallon indirect, and have a 52 gallon corner jet tub.
    Always comes up short filling the thing up with hot water. Does not take long for the tank to recover just annoying.

Pick up a 60 gallon was going to put that in did not like the height it was so big!! End up installing that tank on a job.

Getting ready to put in a new Lochinvar 80,000 boiler ( shouldn't say new been siting in by boiler room for a few years) plan on getting the Squire 50 gallon. The first draw rate on the 50 is 45 compared to 27 for the 40. Going to order it tomorrow :)
    https://www.screencast.com/t/BTepKMYr

My 40 indirect is about 16 years old and still working good.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    What size copper pipe is run to the coil in the indirect water heater. There are many IDWH that have a 3/4” tapping but the contractor should still run 1” to the coil for better GPM flow rate from the boiler to the indirect coil. You can also store the water at 160 degrees F and use a mixing valve to mix it down to 120 degrees going out to the faucets.