Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gremlin in the boiler!

donaldmc
donaldmc Member Posts: 35
I was servicing an oil burner and found this in the flue!
The boiler is used only in winter for heat, so who knows how long its been there!
Anyone come across any other strange 'gremlins' in their travels?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    That looks like a mole, and I don't think he could climb to the top and fall in. Any open spots near the ground, dug from underneath?
    I've dug out with the soot shovel many Kentucky Fried Sparrows and squirrels.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Less now, but sparrows, baby owl. I once went in to do an annual service in the fall and saw the draft regulator wired shut.
    H/O said he heard scratching, came down the basement and saw a squirrel poking his head out the regulator.
    Back when antennas were more popular they were frequently attached to chimneys, I'm guessing it was a nice warm spot to sit for the birds, before being overcome with CO and falling in.
    steve
  • donaldmc
    donaldmc Member Posts: 35
    I think it was a squirrel, a very crispy one!
    This is only a 6" flue, out of the back of a Biasi, the burner was acting just a little clogged!
    There is cap on the metal chimney flue about 20 feet up, so I'm not so sure how he got in there.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    donaldmc said:

This is only a 6" flue, out of the back of a Biasi, the burner was acting just a little clogged!...

That's a Riello burner for ya! New customer had a Peerless, wasn't cleaned for 7 years, an opening thru the soot about the size of a golf ball. Still running.

steve
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    not latly,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2017
    I had a no heat service call in downtown. Showed up, and found the damper attempting to open, but couldn't. Upon further inspection, found a Flicker (Woodpecker) stuck in the damper. The H.O. freaked out and wanted pictures to show her kids. Guess as others noted, he was cold, sitting next to the chimney, suddenly got tired and fell in... Stiff.
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.