Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

good quality pressure gauge reccomendations

Hi Guys, Does anyone know of a good quality pressure gauge that will record the maximum pressure reached? Over the years, I have had a few commercial water heaters fail prematurely due to the thermal expansion tank failing and nobody knowing. Anyone that has taken one of these out of a basement knows how heavy and difficult they are to remove (BTRs 250-400). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    If you contact a gauge manufacturer, like Winters, etc they will add that extra hand to most any of their gauges. Gauges come in a large variety of quality. Most gauges on the shelves are considered economy grade.

Find an industrial quality and have them add the "lazy hand"

The best gauge I have used is the stainless case, glycerin filled, but a second hand cannot be added to that type due to the hole in the center :)

Maybe a digital type would be better or longer lasting?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 139
    edited October 2017
    I used Winter gauges some years ago but they failed on me and the plastic cover over the face of their meter is not very secure or durable. Since then I've re-purposed Dakota digital automobile gauges for boiler use and they have shown great accuracy and durability. They are pricey but have lasted me nearly a decade.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,126
    Marsh Instruments is another builder of quality pressure gauges.