Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system water treatment

A system I installed a year ago is showing a rust color in the flow indicators. Recommended CLEANING and TREATMENT of the water? The system is all radiant pex, 10 circuits about 2500 lineal feet total and burnham CI boiler. Manufacturers rep was no help. How about I connect to a company that makes or sells the chems and pump to do this? Thanks for all the help and profound phyco support in the past, John

Comments

• HEATON
    HEATON Member Posts: 117
    Boiler water treatmentsolutions needed please. john
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I got some romar pro Tek 922 from houseneeds.com they sell it in gallon size.
    Or a kit with hydroso 9000 I think. But they are only 1 pint I think
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Quick simple kit for that type of a cleaning, from Rhomar. I think it handles about 35 gallons of system.

Check the water you intend to fill with, low hardness, 5 or below
    low TDS under 150, neutral ph.
    If you don't have it, buy some water from a local water treatment company. You want RO or DI demineralized water.

You will always get some water discoloration as the system consumes the O2, some ferrous components will oxidize.

Be sure you have a tight system. Any additional fill water or O2 ingress will cause continual corrosion.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    edited October 2017
    good luck with the burnham, could be rusting out internally, has been happening to some burnhams
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Guy_Woollard
    Guy_Woollard Member Posts: 5
    Hi Heaton,

If you PM me, I can help you with both water treatment and magnetic filtration to resolve your issue. If you are in New England or NY/ NJ, I can arrange a site visit as well. Adey is the number 1 hydronic treatment company in the UK, and we began doing business in the US just this year.
    ADEY_NorthAmerica
  • boilerman12
    boilerman12 Member Posts: 3
    I have used Sentinel X100 to keep the system clean and sentinel X200 to clean a boiler with lime scale.one can will treat 25 gallons.Safe on all metals ,make sure because some are no good for boilers made from aluminum.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    So, it is a new system--new boiler, new piping, etc.? If the boiler is new and the piping is old, you may just be getting the deposit residue from the old pipes. Of course, you ran a cleaner thru the system before the final commission?

A thin film protectorant like Rhomar 922 is a good safety measure especially if you have oxygen infiltration, like in non barrier Pex.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Caleffi has some very good youtube videos on water quality in hydronic systems. Also, some downloadable Idronic magazines on water quality. Well worth the look see.