Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fixing a Leaking PVC Drain at elbow

Boiler Talk
Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
edited October 2017 in Plumbing
I spent a few hours refitting the kitchen sink strainer and P trap only to find a leak along the pvc pipe at an elbow. This has been in place for years. I know it does not help to ask, but why is it leaking now? I can't replace the pipe or at least I don't want to replace it. What is best fix for the leaky joint? Do I buy some epoxy?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I had a dripping union that I needed to tap into temporally, couldn't shut off water without major disruption to hospital.

I did find some blue stretchy tape just for this purpose, very expensive but the cost was justified for my needs.
    It is still holding 50 PSI water pressure.

Check the plumbing or big box store for a similar product.
    For your situation you have almost no pressure on the fitting.

And I have learned to be ready to replace all the drainage piping under a sink if you just move anything at all........a reason I avoid being under a sink if at all possible. ;)

A picture of the piping would perhaps bring on more ideas.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    An elbow under the sink? Typically the P trap dumps directly into a a san tee.

Schedule 40? I have seen plumbers heat up a screwdriver tip and do some plastic welding, melt the pipe and socket together. Not saying I recommend that :)

A couple Fernco couplings or Fernco ell might be a safer fix.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Clean it off and dry it. I have used Dveco 2 part epoxy with good results but it will cost more than it's worth for one repair.

@hot rod fernco suggestion may be the best alternative