Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advise on big steamer. Double check return??

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
This big guy ate the checks up and just pushes back and forth into the cond tank every 90 seconds and shoots water during cycles. I’m going with industrial checks myself but can I double check that? 1.8 mil BTU 150 units.

Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Better quality check valves and multiple check valves will help. I prefer y pattern check valves. I would go with 300# check valves are probably better quality.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    You might want to check on these. http://www.dft-valves.com/. I have started using them exclusively after my long time vacuum pump rep in Chicago recommended them. You can get them through Affiliated Steam in the Chicago suburbs.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited October 2017
    FWIW, I tried to convince maint people at my hospital that they should throttle the flow down on their feed pumps. The pumps seem to be over sized for the application and don't have to run but a few seconds. High dollar checks would get wire drawn from velocity of flow. The seats had severe grooves cut in them.

They had poppet above the ped pumps and horizontal swing at the HL where the water returned. The poppets failed early and eventually the swings.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Some people just won't listen. I guess when the boiler fails due to thermal shock, maybe they will listen then.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    By code, you have to install double check valves. We use spring loaded S/S check valves. We install and forget about them.