Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spray/Steam Humidifier Recommendations

BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
Hello, our cabin in the CA Sierras gets pretty dry in the winter and it's time to do something about it. The furnace is a horizontal 90% unit. There is not much room or metal duct work, except for the furnace intake and exhaust, so I don't think a bypass system will work.

The furnace room is at the top of the home due to space limitations, and it requires a ladder to access.

Optimally, I'm looking for reliability and low maintenance. There is 115V, water, and a drain in the furnace room.

What brand systems do you like and why?

Thanks, Rob!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I have not installed any in years but others will chime in, Aprilaire used to be popular
  • BigRob
    Thanks, Ed. I'll look at them.

Anybody have any other recs?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    General. Honeywell.
    Keep spare canisters handy.
    Most can be wired into the thermostat if there's enough wires.
    You might need a capable thermostat.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    General! I have just now to change the barrel after 8 years. You should use the manual blowdown switch at least once every two months. I got lazy the last two years and only did it once a year. Otherwise, I could of gotten a few more years
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Are Generals still made by Carel? We put 1 and only 1 in and it was a NIGHTMARE! The Aprilaire 800 seems to be a lot better.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Aprilaire 800 seems to be the most accepted and I've used them. HW True steam units, not so much. Generals are re labeled Carel, last I looked too. Have a few out there.
  • BigRob
    Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. I was reading through the install manuals and online comments and it looks like setting these bad boys up for 230V and max amps is what I will need since we are at the cabin intermittently. My thinking is we will need a bunch of steam to get the cabin moist when we arrive. It might be good to wire up non-heating humidification mode; not sure though. The cabin came with a Nest 2nd gen, so it can control humidity, but I might need to wire up a relay if the humidifier activates on a two wire contact closure.

Running a new circuit doesn't seem to be an option. Hopefully I have 12 gauge so I can run an Aprilaire at 240/16A.
  • BigRob
    Well, it turns out our water is TOO good. The conductivity is 92uS/cm. Our water source is a community mountain sprin, which I read is usually around 100uS/cm, so the 92uS/cm makes sense. The units I've looked at said 92 is too low. I'll now look into the bypass types, which I'm not a fan of.