Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain VS. Burderus - Help Needed!

jannabanana
jannabanana Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
After a CO scare I decided it's time to replace my 60 + year old oil fired boiler. I have had three companies come out and give me different quotes with different systems and options. My father who has since passed used to be my touch stone for information like this. I was wondering if someone might be able to help with what system is the best. I see from above we cannot discuss pricing, but here are the two options presented (companies removed for fairness). Any help or direction at all is truly appreciated.
heat.pdf 108.3K

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Janna, it's unlike buying a car, consider this topic 'skilled trades', that is, the personnel has more to do with the process than the wares he is installing. I like the Buderus better, but which guy seems to have his ducks in a row? Go with that guy; if there's a glitch down the road, you want the guy with a good reputation.

Some one could take that exact set of detail typed and make it beautiful, or make a compete mess.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    jannabanana
  • bink
    bink Member Posts: 97
    Agree with GW installer is the important thing to consider.
    I went through this a few years ago. I learned a few things after the install. The new boilder Buderus G115 has lower flue gas temperature and to be safe I had a stainless steel liner installed in chimney. Liner was recommended in all the manuals that came with the new system ,buderus,beckett. Also my burner is noiser than my old 40 year I replaced. Found out the Beckett I now have turns the air faster rpm so had to install some noise deading because i live above the boiler. Anyway, ask questions and hope you can take time to insure you are happy with your new system.
    jannabanana
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Please search Heat Loss. Make sure the contractor does one. It takes time but will pay off with energy savings. The contractors can't do it in the free estimate, but should do one once you pay deposit and they get the job before they install boiler. Big is not better in boilers. I like Buderus But it is all about the contractor. I Agree with flue liner comment.
    jannabanana
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    There's a big difference Net IBR between the 2 choices.
    WGO-4RD= 123K
    G115-3= 74K
    Did either of them do a heat loss calculation, or were they just salesmen, who looked at your existing boiler and judged from that?
    It needs a proper heat loss calculation.

Did they leave brochures? Compare.

Company 1
    The WM has an electric flue damper to decrease standby losses.
    They're offering the Carlin burner. Which model? 2 stage?
    They don't state the operating control.
    Hydrostat 3250 Plus is typical with WM.
    If supplying the 3250 plus, did they offer Outdoor Reset?
    If not, the control has Boiler Reset with economy settings for space heat. But it must be programmed and wired property to overide on a call for DHW.
    How many heat zones for the home, not including the proposed indirect water heater?
    It states a Grundfos circ and a zone valve. Why one zone valve?
    The indirect should have its own dedicated circulator sized specifically for it alone. It should NOT be pumped through a zone valve.

Company 2
    The G115 doesn't have, or need a flue damper. It's a positive pressure boiler and has minimal standby losses.
    It also has feet to keep it off the heat robbing concrete floor, and has 3 1/2" of insulation all around.
    They didn't tell what burner was being installed, although I assume only a Riello F3 can achieve that firing rate of .7 GPH.
    What are they offering as an operating control? The 3250 Plus, Logamatic 2107? Outdoor reset?
    They also state one circ. How can that be if there's minimum 2 zones with the indirect?
    It also mentions a flo valve. Is it in fact a flo valve, or is the Taco(s) 007 an IFC (internal flow check)?

With both companies, is the circ(s) being installed on the supply, pumping away?

Does the home have an exterior chimney? If so, did they say a stainless steel liner would be needed? Especially with the Buderus.

I am partial to the Buderus with the Riello and the 2107 Logamatic and outdoor reset, but like the others have said, the contractor is a very important part of your decision.
    Can they offer references, or show a photo album of before and after jobs?

Holbrook Long Island?
    You might want to click the "Find a contractor near me" link above. There's plenty of contractors on this forum, near you, who will do the job right?
    jannabanana
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    snap---- didn't notice the honking 4 section. Janna B what is the general size of your home? I'm a smaller is better guy, but some heating dudes love to pack in a big boiler. That Buderus would heat the typical 3000 sq ft home all day long. Larger if it's a modern home.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    jannabanana
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Forget the first guy, just on the presentation of the estimate. The second one doesn't look much better.
    Definitely get the heat loss done as suggested. Either way I would skip the WM.
    Did anyone evaluate the whole system for maximum performance?
    steve
    jannabanana
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Just to say it as no one else mentioned: chimney must be evaluated. If you are having CO issues, you may have a dead something in that chimney, or a fallen brick... Also, you did, I presume, have this boiler inspected and serviced, if by anyone, by your oil people, no? Other than the age, has the CO cause actually been pin pointed?
    jannabanana
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    hands down the buderus is the way to go, but do yourself a favor and get an L7224 aquastat instead of the logimatic and save yourself money and a headache
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    jannabanana
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @newagedawn said:
    > hands down the buderus is the way to go, but do yourself a favor and get an L7224 aquastat instead of the logimatic and save yourself money and a headache

The L7224 only saves money up front, not long term, and is a box of rocks compared to the 2107.
    It's only a headache if you don't know how to use it IMO.
    jannabananaBob Bona_4