Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temp required to fix kinks in Wirsbo hePEX?

I know I can use a heat gun to fix kinks in Wirsbo hePEX, but it has me wondering what temperature is required (minimum) before the product starts to return to the original shape? Is that temperature higher than the published max temp ratings or possibly close to or a little lower than the published max temp ratings?

The guy I was working with today installing Wirsbo hePEX kinked it bad. I told him to flag it and we'd come back later to fix it. However, that didn't happen and the kink is now buried under sheet plates somewhere.

It just got me thinking, maybe running the radiant system at a high temp close to the max temps for the tubing might actually take some of the kink out naturally? Or is that just dumb thinking and high hopes?

After coming home and having a beer I realized I could have just used my lighter to fix the kink right then and there. Or so experimentation is showing me, anyway. Live and learn...

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2017
    256*F . The tubing will become clear just like when it rolls out of the extruder
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Open flame is not recommended. If nothing else you can try to use a pair of pliers and squeeze it back into shape.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2017
    If you could squeeze it with pliers , don't . Heat it using a heat gun several inches from the tubing . Keep the heat gun moving a few inches either side of your defect and try to heat as evenly as possible . This is the only proper way to repair the tubing . point being that if you can attempt it the wrong way you can use the right method
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833