Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How did you bufff your B&J's?

Options
Hey Christian. I have to add 5 B&J Big Mouths to my mains and having had a show Harley with tons o chrome, custom paint, etc, seeing what you did to your B&Js brings back fond customizing memories and I'm kinda itching to polish up mine. But I'm wondering what kind of task would I be getting into. I don't have them yet (on backorder) so I can't tell how rough (or not) they are. I'm assuming they're pretty smooth to have have gotten the mirror finish you did? WOW and I thought I was the only guy who did over the top stuff like this :) Brother in Arms for sure! Please advise. OH.. All I have is a 9" grinder with buffing wheels and all the polish sticks for cutting, buffing and fine shine. What did you use?

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    I love that you guys buff these out lol.

I can't approach Christians skill in that dept but one thing I found works really well to rough it in is a scotchbrite wheel. I have a floor mount Baldor 3hp pedestal buffer with a 12" wheel on it and it will get things done with a quickness. After that, step up through the compounds. I wonder if a coating of lacquer would keep the shine or if it would stand up to the heat?

If you want to buff them, call me directly and I'll put the stickers in an envelope so you can apply them after it's all shiny.

I've had a lot of people emailing me asking when they will be back in stock. Currently I'm probably 2 weeks away from the final parts I need. I have about 100 on back order and once I clear that I'll send the rest in to Amazon.

Thanks for your continued support. Ever since the disc episode last season I haven't had a single one fail testing so I think we are good to go.

Peter
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I can tell you what I did to polish mine. I did most of the smoothing by hand. Started with 150 grit sandpaper to get the casting smooth then 320, 1000, 1500 and finally took it to the buffing wheel with White rouge. I think it turned out nice. I don't really have any power options so that's why I did all the hand sanding. I'd say I had about 2-3 hours into it.

It definitely isn't smooth to start. You could just buff the rough casting to shine it up, but I like that mirror look so I smoothed it down. Honestly looking at the pic I think it needs a bit more buffing, I can still see some micro scratches in there.

I attached before and after pics.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • shmerls
    shmerls Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Peter thanks for the Back Order update. I'm working with Ezzy Travis who did the most miraculous job installing 4 water rads in our converted porch that was windowed, but had electric baseboards, which didn't begin to heat the room, but only heated up our monthly electric bill!

Unrelated is our need to next balance our 2 floors heated by steam which I got a lot of help from the good folks here. Ezzy too, who gave me the correct rad vent sizes to replace the ones that came with the house plus we need 5 of your Big Mouths for our 2 mains (3 and 2).

Peter, I was going to buy and be on backorder with SupplyHouse, but could switch to Amazon if that's where your stock will be going? Supplyhouse lists backorder to be filled between 9/14 to 9/19. Do you think that's accurate or should be list with Amazon? The temp is dropping supper fast here in NY so hoping to balance out our system before turning on the steam for winter if possible.

Re: polishing, I'm game to try knowing that KC did it by hand! Reminds me of when I smoothed the throats of my carburetor heads by hand until my fingers bled. But I got it done! But I was a younger man then :smiley:
  • Sailah
    Options
    I've never sent the Big Mouth to supplyhouse, they sell our other products though. I did ask them to stock it since so many HH guys buy from there. They said OK but never did. So the only place to get them is either directly through me or wait for Amazon. I'm taking care of the people who have called me or emailed me first in order and then sending stock in to Amazon.

I'll be in the office tomorrow if you want to call and I'll put you on the list. I'm expecting the rest of my parts to be here in ~2 weeks and will turn them around quickly.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • shmerls
    Options
    @Sailah. Peter that's interesting because if you search on SH the Big Mouths come up and if you put it in your cart it shows the fill date I mentioned. Amazon just says "Unavailable" and you can't put them in your cart. I'll call you. Just call the regular B&J phone on the website?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,129
    Options
    For rough brass polish, I start with a bronze wire wheel in the bench grinder, that will get it to shine. Or a drill motor with a fine cup wire brush.

If you want smooth, then sanding. A emery "flap wheel" works good on round surfaces.

We wire brush products like this for trade show booths.

Clear lacquer or enamel will keep fingerprints from turning brass black right away, but it will still dull under the clear coat after time, even without finger prints.

About 3 seconds at the bench grinder to get this old mix valve to shine.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • shmerls
    Options
    @sailah. Here's a reduced screen shot of my SupplyHouse order to show you the BM backorder they are showing:

• Sailah
    Options
    That's not a big mouth that's a 3/4" radiator trap our model 134A. Big mouth is built on a different trap body
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • shmerls
    Options
    Well that explains it. Thanks for clarification. I'll be calling you. Best, Steven