Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Re

JPL941
JPL941 Member Posts: 51
edited August 2023 in Strictly Steam
Hello

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Definitely use a vaporstat. Op pressure should be ounces.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2017
    Sorry to be negative, but whoever you hired to repipe the near boiler piping should have their own plan. If they don't, they shouldn't be repiping the near boiler piping. While "The Wall" is amazing, it only goes so far. You need to hire someone who can answers all these questions for you, not the other way around. Again, I apologize for the negatively, I just don't want you to pay for something twice, or more. But here goes anyway...1) use a Gifford loop or a false waterline, no need o raise the boiler. 2/3) 24" atleast, and while all applications are great for a drop header, this is tailor made. 4) What restriction? 5) don't eliminate an air vent. If you mean a check valve vacuum vent, ok, but you will need to add main venting, regardless of fuel type. 6) Vaporstat.

You'll also want to remove the size reductions from the header. It needs to be full size throughout, no bushing or reducing fittings of the sort.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited August 2017
    I agree with @Danny Scully . What you have is a painful mess just to look at.

What's with the venting? The boiler used to be against the chimney next to the water heater/indirect currently being utilized as a pipe support, and vented into the chimney I am assuming.

The venting appears to be the reason the boiler got moved out into the room? Where/how does it vent now?

Also, venting looks small?

Who supports a header with a water tank?

Painful...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Danny Scully
  • JPL941
    edited August 2023
    Hello
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2017
    Just leave your existing Hartford loop, it's just now considered a Gifford loop because of its height above the waterline. And your riser is bullheading the header, which is bushed down on one end and has a reducing elbow on the other end. This all needs to be changed.
  • JPL941
    edited August 2023
    Hello
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I totally agree, with Dan, who ever you hire does need to have his own ideas and plans...He needs to do a complete system evaluation...Pretty sure some guys will and some won't agree, but if a guy comes in and has to have someone else sketch his job,or has to study the install instructions then he sir has no business doing the job....There's a bit more to it than just screwing pipe, and painting it up all pretty
  • JPL941
    edited August 2023

Bello