Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help on Gylcol 50/50 heated and cooled systemASAP!

skeeew40
skeeew40 Member Posts: 3
Hey guys I am haveing problems with a system my company recently installed in the Nashville,Tn area . It is a heated and cooled system running tru 13 heat exchangers, I keep haveing to fix leaks , new ones appearing daily, the system sees about 140 degrees and runs at roughly average 70 psi . It's 2 1/2" stainless pipe with 1 1/2 welded threadolets on the bottem side , then its 2" long threaded galvanized nipples into threaded brass apolo ball valves , our shop put this stuff together , and my pour soul installed it mouths ago and here recently it started pissing glycol out daily , I need the best possible way to seal the system up. We can't have these leaks . I think it was put together just useing t+2 rectoroseal pipe dope. What I have currently replaced I used locktite 567 . Do I need to do away with the galvanized pipe ? Do I need to tape the joint and apply dope after cleaning the threads ? Thanks in advance for any advice! Going to see what pictures I have and post them as well .

Comments

• skeeew40

• skeeew40
    This is what is left after I pull the fittings ! I don't have any good pictures of the actual system
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The 567 should work.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    As you can see there is little if any dope in the joint.

I like Teflon tape (either regular or blue Monster) I like Rectorseal True Blue (although it sucks getting it off your hands)

Read the instructions on the can. True Blue says you dope the male threads AND the female threads 1 1/4" and up, not a lot don't over due it and crank it up tight.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Absolutely no galvanized pipe or connections with glycol. And better pipe dope practices. Thick teflon tape and dope usually works, don't over tighten the joints.

What brand of glycol? Do you install pre-mix, or blend on the site?
    Rare that you need a 50% mix, that really hits you for pumping and heat exchange. 35% Dowfrost HD is around a -35°F burst,

Glycol is a PITA fluid to contain within threaded and crimped joints.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream