Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking to upgrade oil boiler

ryan1693
ryan1693 Member Posts: 14
hello new to this site I'm looking to upgrade my 25 year old weil mcclain, I've been looking at the peerless wb90-03 to be used with the tekmar260 and an amtrol hydromax indirect hwh. I cant find any reviews on the peerless wb90-03 hows their performance reliability and any other info I should know before I make the purchase. Thanks for any info given

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I've never seen or serviced the WB90 or the 2 stage Carlin as they are both fairly new.

Peerless is a reputable manufacturer, but I don't know if I'd use that boiler without taking a workshop class and knowing it's stability in the field.

How much more are you paying to get 3% AFUE from a condensing boiler vs. a boiler like the Buderus G115 or the Energy Kinetics EK1?

Those boilers, I think would be just as efficient, if not more, because the Peerless won't always be condensing, and will average out to about 86,87%.

I love the idea of the 2 stage Carlin, and can't wait to get my hands on one. Gotta call my rep for a demo.

Somebody was the first to climb Mt. Everest, so maybe go for it.

What could possibie go wrange?
  • ryan1693
    the wb 90 is a conventional boiler thats why I was looking at it im not a fan of condensing boilers. I am also looking at the buderus logano with the logomatic control
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    huge peerless and buderus fan, just dont like the logimatic
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ryan1693
    your the second person who said that about the logimatic I was reffered to go with the tekmar260 instead same functions but a better product
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @ryan1693 Like I said, I'm not familiar with the WB90, so I apologize about the condensing part. However, it WILL condense the flue gasses in the chimney hence the drain at the bottom of the flue connection.
    A condensate pump or floor drain will be needed.

It seems to be the same block as the WBV, and that is a very good boiler.

If you use the Tekmar ODR control, you must program it to maintain a minimum 140*, otherwise the gasses will condense in the boiler and rot the CI.

If it is not going to be direct vented, a stainless steel chimney liner will be needed if one is not already present.

I am however very familiar with Buderus and the 2107 Logamatic. Both installation and service, and is by far a superior choice IMO. I assume the model will be a G115. Together with the Riello BF3, or BF5 burner, depending on your heat loss calculation (was a proper heat loss calculation done?) and the 2107, you'll have an extremely reliable, efficient system that I'm already envious of.

If your direct venting, I suggest the FT-4 concentric vent kit. If chimney venting, again, stainless steel liner.

In my opinion, the 2107 is an excellent system control and those who frown upon it, are not familiar with its programming or its numerous functions.

Just like any HVAC installation, the contractor is a very important part of the selection process. Get references and pics of before and after of other installations if possible. And well versed with the 2107 if you decide to go that way.

When the installation is done, post some pics back here. We would love to see them.

I sent some lit on the 2107 to help in your decision.

Good luck.

Note: if you opt for the Buderus with the 2107, you will need to use a Buderus indirect water heater, as it doesn't use an aquastat, but a sensor that is connected to the 2107.
    ryan1693