Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Neoprene foam pipe wrap off gassing?

We've installed a new on demand hot water boiler system for both radiant and baseboards. Our plumber built a custom made heat exchanger wrapped in neoprene foam. We have a funky smell in the new mechanical room that I thought was somehow related to the plumbing system - drainage but I've had 2 plumbers check it out and they don't think that's the issue. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with the neoprene foam wrapped around the pipes off gassing and making this smell?
Thanks!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Make/model of the insulation is needed. I doubt it's neoprene.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Many construction materials "off-gas". Solvents and plasticizers evaporate, paints will emit ammonia smells or vapors of whatever base they have. Adhesives also can emit odors when heated. More info is needed to give you a better answer
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Determine the brand and look up the data sheet. If it is the rubbery type it may be this
    http://www.armacell.us/fileadmin/user_upload/SDS-PDFs/SDS_Elastomeric_Insulation_Products.EN.US.2017.pdf

Yes it does give off some smell when you open a box.
    The smell does go away after time

How hot are you running the system.

The inexpensive foam type insulation, like swimming pool noodles, tends to melt, dry out and crumble after time, but is usually odorless.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cmrsf1
    cmrsf1 Member Posts: 6
    I don't see a name on here. The only thing on the side of the foam tube is 5/8 ID x 1/2 Wall R 3.3 25/50 167 357 1 I think our plumber picked it up at a supply house, not one of the big box stores. It's not like swimming pool noodles, more like rubber. Has a faint odor off one that hasn't been installed but there is quite a bit on the heat exchanger. Haven't been running the system for the past few months but the odor is still there.
    As EBEBRATT-Ed and hot rod have suggested, it may be elastomeric and the MSDS says nothing about off-gassing. I really appreciate your time in trying to help, kind of stumped right now...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Do you spend a lot of time in the mechanical room?
    Is the spreading into the living space?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • cmrsf1
    Yes, it has spread into the living space. Have an office right next to the mechanical room.
    Here is a photo the heat exchanger and the foam wrap.
    CarriePalmer
  • CarriePalmer
    CarriePalmer Member Posts: 5
    It is simple insulating pipes which carry hot water from your water heater to faucets. it could be polyethylene or neoprene foam as well as fiberglass wrap
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Anyone have any info on those neat flow-meters in the background?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Blue & White is one common brand, very easy to read. They were, are, common in the solar thermal industry.

Beware of temperature limitations on them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    ^ They look exactly like the Blue & White brand Flowmeter.

Thanks very much Bob!
  • cmrsf1
    I'm wondering if that foam wrap is the culprit putting out a nasty odor. Seems like it's the worst when I'm in there. There's a louvered bi-fold door between the mechanical and laundry. The odor is strongest in the mechanical room. I was just down there, thinking maybe if I painted the foam it would lock in the odor?
    The flow meters are for the hot water returns to the faucets to make sure there is always hot water w/o having to wait.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If that foam was slit to go over the pipes rather than slipping over the open end as you build, they may have used a special glue for sealing the joint. Are the black cable ties there to close the insulation or are they tying wires down.
    That glue may have a stronger odor than the insulation itself.

With enough air movement/changes it may subside enough that it may not be so noticeable.
    Canucker
  • cmrsf1
    This foam has the self adhesive strips that seal the split shut. You peel off the backing on both strips and they stick together. This install has been in since the beginning of the year. It's either getting a bit better or we are getting used to it. Beats me...
  • ChrisJ
    cmrsf1 said:

This foam has the self adhesive strips that seal the split shut. You peel off the backing on both strips and they stick together. This install has been in since the beginning of the year. It's either getting a bit better or we are getting used to it. Beats me...

It'll get better and better.
    The insulation stinks when you buy it, but it's a necessary evil.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • cmrsf1
    I'm traveling on business right now but my wife reports that it seems to be getting better! I'm hoping the fumes are dissipating and will go away. I appreciate all the feed back. You folks are great!
    Thank you...
  • ChrisJ
    cmrsf1 said:

I'm traveling on business right now but my wife reports that it seems to be getting better! I'm hoping the fumes are dissipating and will go away. I appreciate all the feed back. You folks are great!
    Thank you...

I installed the same stuff in my house a few months ago.
    Just something you gotta deal with for a bit. You should smell it when you open a new box, phew.