Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating Edge 2 Install with photos...

NY_Rob
NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
As my wife and kids were upstate for a few days.. last weekend was the perfect time for me to replace some Fine Line 30 fin-tube with low temp/high efficiency Heating Edge 2 baseboard. Ended up replacing about 22' spread across three rooms. Started Sat morning... finished (sore and tired) Monday afternoon by 3pm, then two more hrs for cleanup. I give you guys credit for doing this stuff all the time.... Iron Men!

A fun project overall, but not so much fun soldering 1" from the wall and 1/2" from the fiberglass tub surround in the upstairs bathroom :o I had to walk away and take a break before attempting that one.
The other two rooms were easier, not finished with the transition in the dining area yet and need to re-caulk by the bathtub.

Bathroom.....

Den.......

Dining Area w/unfinished transition.....

kcoppBoon

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    nice work. Do they have a special model for bathroom installs?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • NY_Rob
    ^ Thanks!

No special model for the bathroom (that I could find anyway).

Their paint and sheetmetal is much heavier than Slant/Fin's though so it should hold up much better?
    Another nice thing about HE2 is it's a full one-piece cover, so if the cover gets bad- you can replace it with a whole new cover and it will replace the whole visible part unlike the Slant/Fin where the top section is attached to your walls.
  • ChrisF80
    ChrisF80 Member Posts: 16
    Looks nice, where did you purchase?
  • NY_Rob
    ^ Pruchased from our local (NY/NJ) supply house "Blackman Plumbing Supply".

My Blackman rep had never heard of "Heating Edge" baseboard, but Smith's Environmental Products (manufacturers of Heating Edge) is part of the Swan Group, and I knew Blackman got their HTP products from Swan... so my Blackman guy looked in to it and found he could order "Heating Edge" products from Swan.
    Of course it was "special order" at that point so I got hit with an $85 shipping charge for the order.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    So now you run the water temp at a lower temp thru the B B
    kcopp
  • NY_Rob
    edited August 2017
    ^ yeah, in theory anyway! :)
    Or, the same water temps as last winter... but those rooms with the new BB will be warmer.

According to the charts below I'll get a lot more BTU's/ft out of the HE2 (460BTU/Ft) vs. standard fin-tube (260BTU/Ft) with 130F AWT:

In other rooms I was able to add additional radiation to make up for the difference between 170F AWT with my old cast Iron boiler and the 130F AWT from the new mod-con, those rooms were comfortable. In some rooms.. there was really just no way to add extra radiation, so one option was to add more efficient low temperature baseboard in place of the old Fine-Line 30.