Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Putting Together a Hydronic course

eddiecalder
eddiecalder Member Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
So I'm in the process of putting together a Hydronic course for the school I work at. I'm a full time Refrigeration instructor that holds a Red Seal in Refrigeration and Plumbing. I have my Gas B ticket and an Cross-Connection certified (may have actually lapsed).

The course I'm trying to make is for Hydronics and not for boilers specifically. Chillers, cooling towers, heat reclaim, building loops, condensers will all be discussed in the class. It is meant to be an introduction to using fluids as a medium to move heat.

Is there any reference for the cooling side of hydronics that I should reference?

The basic topics I'm considering at this time are:

Basic Theory:
Introduction to heat and matter (specific heat formula, sensible heat formula, gas laws)
Major components
Near and Far piping (direct return, reverse return, injection, close spaced tees, etc)
Mixing valves
Pumps (curves, pumping away, injection systems etc)
Accessories
Heat Pump Loops
Heat recovery options
Fluid Coolers, Condensers, Cooling Towers, Evaporative Condensers,
Safeties and Control systems (intro to DDC) (Tekmar has been requested specifically)
Balancing
Backflow devices
Water treatment
Design and installation practices
Basic service procedures

Practicals:
System Design (pump sizing, pipe sizing, Heat load calculations, )
Taking apart and servicing pumps
Boiler teardown and maintenance
Cooling tower cleaning maintenance
Wiring project (simple control circuit with pump and zone valves)

Anything I'm missing here that you would think would be of value for an introduction?
I have complete freedom with the course length and time allocated. I'm hoping to keep it under 24hrs total split between nights and weekends.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    We have supplied Idronics to many different training facilities over the years. Here is a link to look over the offering on the various topics.

Issue 12 Hydronic Fundamentals is a good issue for newbies.

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/technical-magazine

If you want a full on textbook look at John Siegenthalers
    Modern Hydronic Heating
    Heating with Renewables

I think they, and other great reads, are available at the Bookstore here at Heating Help
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    eddiecalderRoohollah
  • eddiecalder
    The Caleffi stuff is always good and I also like how simple Pumping Away is, but is there any material specifically for the commercial cooling side of hydronics that you can think of?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Another great option.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    eddiecalder
  • eddiecalder
    hot rod said:

Another great option.

That and Modern are the book we use in our Refrigeration apprenticeship classes.
  • CHC
    CHC Member Posts: 1
    Eddie,

I am the program manager with the Canadian Hydronics Council. If I can be of service please let me know - we have been certifying designers and installers for years.

Matt
    m.wiesenfeld@ciph.com
    1-800-639-2474
    eddiecalder