Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hacks

HVACNUT
HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
I'm currently not working due to having a rod inserted in my heal. Hope to be going back at the end of August.
Anyway, I went to help a friend today whose sisters A/C wasn't working. Rheem A/H horizontal, left hand. Bad X-13 blower motor, and the Y was never wired into the board for high speed. The installers ran the refrigerant lines right across the blower door with a 90 tight to the evap. Easy enough, but I don't have my own vacuum pump or nitrogen. I felt terrible that I couldn't do the repair because of stupidity. Tried to do a favor (no charge) for a friend and was blocked by human error. I just had to rant. Maybe I should've posted this in Strictly Steam because I was fuming.

Comments

• Hope your heel heals soon. That's got to be painful.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Unfortunately, there are more hacks than good mechanics, and more jobs than we could all fix.

Hope your heel heals
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    I hope the doctor gives you better service, and is not a hack as well!--NBC
  • HVACNUT
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. Playing Mr. Mom isn't too bad though.
    220, 221, whatever it takes.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    @HVACNUT Abouts where are you located?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HVACNUT
    I'm on Long Island, Suffolk County. My work area is serving the East End Elites.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    ^ our company serves the same Hampton "elite" clients.
    As you well know... the locals call them "cityiots" for a good reason.

One of our operators got cursed out last weekend by a Shelter Island resident who's AC crapped out at 2am Sunday morning. The caller went ballistic when the operator told her the Ferry's to Shelter Island stop running at midnight and there's no way to get a tech to the island before the service starts up the next morning at 6am. The caller told her "I don't care about ferries... I have a service contract! Get a f***ing technician here NOW you stupid b**ch!"

I feel sorry for you tech's who service the east end of Long Island!
  • HVACNUT
    Yeah, they don't care. They're used to getting what they want, when they want it. I laugh a lot of that stuff off because they're a special breed. Little Clifton Reginald the 3rd needs his milk and cookies at exactly 71 degrees and 56% RH.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    It just shows what a terrible curse it is to inherit a lot of money, better to be a self made man. But then Horace Greeley is “a self-made man who worships his Creator.”

It all makes one appreciate the quote about being careful who you step on on the way up the ladder - for they will be waiting for you when you fall back down.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    BobC said:

It just shows what a terrible curse it is to inherit a lot of money, better to be a self made man. But then Horace Greeley is “a self-made man who worships his Creator.”

It all makes one appreciate the quote about being careful who you step on on the way up the ladder - for they will be waiting for you when you fall back down.

Bob

Perhaps you should be careful who you step on simply because you wouldn't like being stepped?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Canucker
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Ding, ding, ding, ding!

That's the key to the whole ball of wax.

I've dealt with people who would stop at nothing to get ahead, they really had the morals of a snake (maybe even a lawyer or accountant). The best payback I ever got from one of these snakes was in 1995.

After this person acquired the company I worked for he went through it and systematically reduced departments, cut wages while spending lavishly on the "management team". I shielded some bout not enough. The company laid off most of the workers in late August, 12 of us were kept on to get the the final run of product out the door and we were all let go at the end of September. I was kept on because I had information in my head that was not available anyplace else, I had my tentacles into every aspect of engineering and manufacturing. My final act was to backup all the engineering drawings, I made two copies - one for the software safe and a copy for myself (always kept a backup copy at the house in case anything happened at the plant).

About 6 months later this snake called me from Pennsylvania and told me they had accidentally restored all 20,000 files into the same directory thus destroying the ability to make heads or tails of things.
    He asked if I still had my copy of the backups, I told indeed I did and that he would never lay his hands on them.

That stopped him from ever producing the project he had based all his greedy hopes and dreams on because he didn't have the drawings! It wasn't much but it was a little payback for the people who lost their jobs, their homes, and some their health because of his tearing the company apart for a few dollars.

At least I did one thing right in my life.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Get well!
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    keeps me in business, lol!!!! fixing alll the hacks
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Hope you heal guickly....It's going to get worse at least in my area as it's way to busy, old friends that still work tell me they cannot find any good help...