Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How far into AC outside unit should cold line be insulated?

See photo. I'd guess I should insulate at least the remaining 18 inches or so of the line--not sure why that wasn't done in the first place. The line continues inside the unit but I've never seen that insulated. Is Armaflex recommended or should I splurge and get the kind that's UV resistant? I saw some tech on youtube put strips of aluminum foil tape to protect from UV and heat but not sure about that. Anyone guess what size the insulation would be for that line. 5/8? 7/8?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Measure the outside diameter of the tubing. Then buy armaflex with that Inside diameter. Armaflex usually comes with 3/8" or 1/2" wall thickness.

They make uv protectant "paint" for the armaflex. Standard practice is to insulate up to the suction shut off valve. You can insulate up to the compressor if you want to.
    D107
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Don't worry about insulating inside the cabinet. It's either 7/8 or 3/4 either will work. Personally I'd won't even bother with it.
    D107
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I used 3/4" thick Armaflex on my suction line.
    It's nice............but it caused headaches with some things, like the lineset cover sizing.

I used standard 3/8" thick on the liquid line.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2017
    Why would insulation be used on the hot line? That's supposed to shed the heat yes? Unless outside air temp is hotter than that line....(?)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited July 2017
    David107 said:

Why would insulation be used on the hot line? That's supposed to shed the heat yes? Unless outside air temp is hotter than that line....(?)

I used in areas exposed to direct sun, and more importantly in the attic where my air handler is. The liquid line's job isn't to shed heat, that's the condenser's job, but it won't hurt. But it is important that the line doesn't increase in temperature after leaving the condenser.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment