Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remodeling Kitchen - What to do with my radiators?

Options
jlonj
jlonj Member Posts: 23
edited June 2017 in Strictly Steam
We are doing a complete gut of my kitchen and adding a small addition in our 1910 house. We have a steam one pipe system. Originally, this space had two radiators - a wall unit and a relatively small floor unit.

I initially wanted to replace these radiators with the low-profile Runtal panel radiators like Charelston Pro. However, the rest of my house is cast iron, so I've read here those steel radiators aren't good options.

A few questions:
1. Is it worth it to get the existing radiators sandblasted/stripped? I would need to hire out transportation. Or should I just buy new burnhams - which is cheaper? Also, if anyone does sandblasting with delivery in central NJ, please send me a PM :)
2. Is it possible to mount the wall radiator to a cabinet in lieu of the wall? I don't really have wall or floor space for the radiators in the kitchen design. I may be able to also mount it to a brick wall next to the refrigerator - not sure if that's a bad idea.
3. Do I need to worry about using the same radiators to heat a slightly larger space? This space is being rebuilt up to current codes with new windows, so I would think I wouldn't need as much heat. Previously the whole space was balloon framing with no insulation.

Any other tips or advise are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How many additional square feet are you adding?
  • jlonj
    Options
    About 100 sq ft
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Do a heat loss calculation on the new space and compare to the the current radiator EDR rating (Slant Fin app is free and excellent). With more insulation and better construction, you might be ok with current edr rating on the bigger space, thus, most likely, the current rads can be reused. As far as steel vs. cast, if you don't feel like keeping the current rads, iiwm, I'd look for cast iron replacements that fit the space, for residual heat from CI thermal mass on steam system is much better than steel (CI rads stay hot/warm longer than steel rads).
    Mike
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    You can use the Charleston Pro radiators with cast iron. We have done this before. Worked just swell.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

You can use the Charleston Pro radiators with cast iron. We have done this before. Worked just swell.

Definitely agree. Used them many times....I do like cast iron, but that's just me...Gerry is right on...
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    While cast iron has more mass than steel the difference is not so great that the system will not work.

As others mentioned above it will work. Do the heat loss as others have mentioned and make sure you have enough radiation and it will work fine
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I am sure the existing radiators are a wee bit oversized...The manufactures of the new minis state there ratings....Still like cast iron, but again that's just me
  • jlonj
    Options
    Update: My contractor is suggesting the "burnham radiant" (sunrad) radiators. A little nervous that he is 1) underestimating the cost - i had heard those were expensive and 2) the installation - had trouble with guys working on my system before who didn't know what they were doing.

I'll keep y'all posted!
  • gerry gill
    Options
    I like the Burnham company (us boiler) and their products, but i don't think there is anything aesthetically pleasing about the Burnham radiant radiator. Just my opinion.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MilanD
    Options
  • gerry gill
    Options
    that was cool MilanD

• MilanD
    Options
    Thanks @gerry gill!

In case there is a question, CI rads take longer to cool down vs steel, or so it seems.
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    Great video!

I wish I had cast iron rads instead of fin-tube... oh well, maybe in the next house :(

• MilanD
    Options
    > @NY_Rob said:
    > Great video!
    >
    > I wish I had cast iron rads instead of fin-tube... oh well, maybe in the next house :(

You can always replace them one at a time, as you get a hold of them from people disconnecting theirs... Just sayin'
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ Not much CI around here... this area had it's big growth spurt in the early 1960's. Mostly fin-tube and forced hot air unfortunately. And... to get decent output from CI at low mod-con condensing temps you need a few more ft of CI vs. fin-tube so that's problematic too.

I was fortunate that there was extra space to add a couple of extra ft of CI in the area I just swapped out the fin-tube for 19' of CI baseboard... but some rooms just won't accommodate that.
    I have 22' of Heating Edge 2 coming this week for three rooms. That will (hopefully) finish the radiation upgrades for this summer.

MilanD
  • MilanD
    Options
    You are in the heating business, right Rob? I'm wondering if you can pick up some CI rads from jobs you do? Around here you may be able to find people giving rads away free just to have them removed... I know, I know.... Why would anyone get rid of rads? Steam is a dying art around here (Cincinnati). I'm not a pro, but due to circumstances with my work, I had to learn about steam, and now appreciate it, perhaps more than I should. O\o

Also, old rads can be found listed from time to time on Craigslist, for about $100ea before haggling... I'd assume East Coast may be a bit pricier, but not by much for used stuff...