Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TACO geothermal zone valve

Hurl
Hurl Member Posts: 4
I had two geothermal units installed in my home seven years ago. Since then, I've had to replace the TACO zone valves twice on one unit and three times on the other. I noticed my well pump was coming on and loosing pressure immediately even when the units weren't running. I had the repairman come in and he told me the valves in both units weren't closing properly. Now, that means the valves have to replaced again. Why can't TACO build a valve that lasts longer? This is very frustrating not to mention expensive.

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Good Morning Hurl
    I’m sorry to hear about your Taco Geothermal valves presumably failing. As a consumer myself, I can certainly appreciate your frustration. Although, I do not know too much about your application, I can surmise, it’s a geothermal open system, which requires a valve suitable for an open system. The geothermal valve is a great choice and good candidate for geothermal duty. It has a long history of dependable service in the industry for well over 50 years, without too much change to the original design. Knowing that, it begs the question, why is it failing??
    I’m thinking, the valve might not be failing at all. I say might not, because obviously do not know for certain, however, I theorize the valve not closing may be related to the pump discharge pressure exceeding the valve 62 psi shut off pressure. Can you check that out? The heat motor zonevalves maximum shut off pressure is published in the supporting literature, so the system pump discharge pressure can be adjusted accordingly. To support my theory, I would be willing to send you a replacement valve in exchange for one that recently failed, so I can test it to determine the root cause of failure.
    The valve does have a 1 year warranty which can be easily facilitated through your local dealer, but I would encourage you to take advantage of my generous offer to help you diagnose the problem. I’m sure Johnny White wouldn’t mind if I spend his money to help you in this case
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    RobGRJMCTAFO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Is it a pump and dump system? If you need to shut off high pressure, a motorized ball valve might be another option. They have high flow rates and 150 psi shut off rating.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Hurl
    Joe, It is an open loop system and I see from the pressure gauge on the well tank that the pressure gets up to 69/70 psi before it shuts off. I haven't had a chance to check the product manual to see what the pump discharge pressure is. BTW, are you talking about what the pressure is exiting the well or the geothermal system?
    I'm just a lowly homeowner and not savvy about the working of the geothermal system. I do appreciate your offer considering the repairman sent me an estimate for the replacement of the TACO zone valves. He wants $690 to replace EACH valve. I see I can buy one on the net for around $167. That's $523 service/installation fee for EACH valve. Looking at the set up, it doesn't appear to be that complicated or hard to replace. Certainly not $523 worth. I see TACO has a 5101-G2 and a 5101-G3. What is on the two units is the G2. Is there a difference? Which one should I order? Whatever I order, I will attempt to install the valves myself. I will send one to you for testing if you provide your address. Hurl

Bob, After reading the above, can I fit a motorized ball valve on the geothermal units and if so, do you have a recommendation? Hurl
  • hot_rod
    With 7 failed valves it's not a product failure, more likely the wrong application for valve.

Either reduce the pressure to the unit so it is within the operating range of the valve, or go with a higher shutoff valve.

I work for the manufacturer of this valve and we sell most of these into the GEO market.

It will require some wiring change and a RIB relay to power it open and power it closed. Find a service tech that has experience with the concept and wiring.

Check the find a contractor section or let us know where you are located, maybe one of the heatinghelp community live nearby and can help.

http://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/2-way-straight-644249a
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I completely agree with HR, seven failures in such a short amount of time indicates either a misapplication of the product or a problem somewhere else in the system. TACO is a fine company that stands behind their products but there is something amiss in your system.
  • Hurl
    Thanks Rob, I've ordered new valves and will reduce the water pressure coming out of my well. Hope that works. Hurl
  • Hurl
    Hi Joe, I'm changing out the two zone valves tomorrow with G3 instead of the G2 valves. If your kind offer still stands, please provide the address for sending the replaced G2 valve. Hurl
  • mhogan
    mhogan Member Posts: 1
    Need some assistance with a Taco whistle noise. We had a Taco valve added in Feb of 17 by a certified Geothermal company. This was fine up until a month ago (May 17). There is a whistling noise coming from the valve. I reached back out to our Geothermal representative who installed the device to see if they can resolve the issue. Their response was that I had too high water pressure which is causing the whistle. My water pressure stays between 40 - 60 psi. usually averages around 50 psi. This has never been an issue in the past as we have had geothermal (open system) since we bought the house in 09. Service Representative wants to put in a separate water pressure device which will cost me more $$$. I can share a video if needed for assistance.

Any advice on how to resolve would be great.
  • hot_rod
    mhogan said:

Need some assistance with a Taco whistle noise. We had a Taco valve added in Feb of 17 by a certified Geothermal company. This was fine up until a month ago (May 17). There is a whistling noise coming from the valve. I reached back out to our Geothermal representative who installed the device to see if they can resolve the issue. Their response was that I had too high water pressure which is causing the whistle. My water pressure stays between 40 - 60 psi. usually averages around 50 psi. This has never been an issue in the past as we have had geothermal (open system) since we bought the house in 09. Service Representative wants to put in a separate water pressure device which will cost me more $$$. I can share a video if needed for assistance.

Any advice on how to resolve would be great.

Which model valve? The thermoactuator type 557 shows a 150' head shutoff, around 65 psi.

The Geo Sentry style is a ball style valve with a 150 psi shut off.

Either should work at 50- 60 psi pressure.

Could be something stuck in the valve/ seat opening preventing tight close off?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Did they replace the valve body, or just the head?
    The Taco is a good valve. Also have good results with Richdale valves.