Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai Tankless Hot Water Heater

tom231
tom231 Member Posts: 4
Good day, Tom here from Houston.
I have a Rinnai Tankless Hot Water Heater and it is around 5 years old. Do I need to get the unit serviced/cleaned.
I have asked two plumbers and one said yes and the other said no.
I did see there is a kit at Lowes that stated it was for draining/cleaning the tankless water heaters??
IF this needs to be done, is it a DIY project or should only be done by professional plumber.
Thanks in advance for your help!! Tom

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    As with all gas appliances, most definitely they require servicing...Google up the installers instructions and the operation and care manual...it will give you the time intervals for service and to what extent....As for can you, well it's your unit and your house,so it's your decision...I don't recommend it...There is a skill level involved....as well as a 2000.00 dollar combustion analyzer...jump
  • tom231
    Thanks j a for the reply!
    I will leave it in the hands of a professional!!!
    Tom
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Tom, I am happy u agree...by no means rocket science...it's just something that requires a certain skill level and proper training...in the field of servicing gas appliances...When seeking a service guy do your homework...
  • tom231
    I looked up the service techs on the Rinnai
    site for the Houston area!!
    thanks again! Tom
  • bulldoglax
    bulldoglax Member Posts: 38
    If you are talking about descaling and flushing the heat exchanger it is def a diy project. You valve off unit , open the blow down valves hook in pump hose system to each boiler drain and circulate the mix for a recommended time. Oatey makes a kit called haymaker. If your are changing igniters flame rods water filters etc i would call in a pro.
  • tom231
    Thanks bulldoglax!
    I think we need to have the burner? Checked and the filter changed.