Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Levittown Cape - Main Water Shut off Valve Location?

ppod
ppod Member Posts: 3
Cannot find the main water shut off valve - Levittown 1940 cape - the boiler is under the staircase - nothing under bath or kitchen sinks...wall panel removal under/near fuse box
but piping seems to be only for bath supply - not the main....have a leak need to shut the water off - cannot see behind the boiler..anyone familiar with this house?
thanks

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    if front of boiler if original behind boiler if replaced and door installed , under the stairs

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ppod
    Ok thanks - yes the boiler looks like it was replaced ( see attached) and their is a panel with screws you take off the stairwall to get access to the furnace area.
    Here are the lines from the front of the house coming in - let me know if one of these is it. Thanks for your help!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Whenever I see a newer valve installed just above an older one, I have learned to leave the lower (older) one alone. The old one might have been internally broken and not shut the water off at all.
    However operating it may shut off the water 95% and never open again. The newer top one might shut off 98% of the water flow but with the hose bib (just to the right of main valves) open and draining somewhere you may be able to keep the line downstream dry enough to solder.
    The second main valve was probably added by shutting off the outside curb stop. Something that may be hiding under the grass, usually near the front sidewalk. It is good to know where it is. Sometimes your water utility will locate and shut this off for you, money maybe or not....depends.
    If the opportunity presented itself I would cut out both gate valves and install a good ($$) ball valve. What can ruin a house quicker than fire is water damage. IMO
  • ppod
    Ok - will give it a try!