Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TXV or metering device for 410a

Options
just wondering what techs think about what way to run 410a
"The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Whatever the mfr calls for. Many call for TXV and only sell matching TXV coils. If piston can be used, probably wise to do that given the unreliability of TXVs lately. I prefer a TXV to keep the superheat down and run a colder coil in mild weather personally.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Txv all the way.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    An orfice system equalizes pressure when shut off. Some TXvs do some don't. I prefer TXVs.

Just be sure the compressor has the added starting components relay and capacitor if a non bleed txv is used
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    im a personal fan of metering device, less moving parts
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Last time I checked a TXV is a metering device?

My monitor top originally used a high side float. That was damaged so I converted it to a cap tube. The cap tube is cheaper and has no moving parts but certainly doesn't work as good as the float did especially under high load conditions.

TXV gets my vote over piston or cap tube.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment