Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron baseboard vs Heating Edge

Options
DC123
DC123 Member Posts: 69
I am replacing a beat-up length of standard fin tube that wasn't providing quite as much heat as I'd hoped. I've narrowed the replacement to either Baseray cast iron baseboard or the Smith's Heating Edge 2 fin tube, which looks like it might be fairly durable and has an impressive reported output. Has anyone used the latter? Any thoughts? Issues with the parallel piping they recommend?

Comments

• DC123
    Options
    The only actual data I've been able to find regarding performance of HE2 is here: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/60200.pdf on page 34-35, where it looks like they had some trouble with the parallel piping and getting flow through the top pipe.
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 141
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Interesting report...and a cautionary conclusion for consumers in search of higher heat output from copper baseboard. I guess DOE won't be doing many more of these once our President finishes draining the swamp ;)
    DC123
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Take a look at Sterling Synergy copper baseboard.
    www.sterlingbaseboard.com then click on Synergy
    It only shows the BTU output up to 150 degrees but if you contact Sterling they can tell you the BTU output at higher water temps.
    Cast iron baseboard only puts out about 600 BTU per foot at 180 degrees.
    I believe the Synergy will put out about 900 BTU at 180 degree water temp.
    kcoppPaul S_3
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited April 2017
    Options
    DC123 said:

The only actual data I've been able to find regarding performance of HE2 is here: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/60200.pdf on page 34-35, where it looks like they had some trouble with the parallel piping and getting flow through the top pipe.

Curious as to how they piped the parallel arrangement . Could not find it anywhere in the report . I have used HE2 for a few years now and it has always performed properly and given the heat stated or at least required . Unfortunately they do not give any detail as to how they piped the parallel HE2 with the exception that they used special fittings near the ends of the baseboard . No mention of flow rate at all . How could you have trouble getting flow through the top pipe but not through the bottom if 2 parallel 1/2 lines were run from a manifold location ? I have not witnessed this phenomenon . We should also remember since they did not mention it , that the top pipe cannot deliver the same BTUs per foot since it is experiencing a higher EAT as the bottom tube area saw a lower EAT thus gave off more heat , that will never change . Wider Delta between the fluid and Entering air will always equal more heat transfer . You cannot fool Mother Nature , apparently we do not know how to set up meaningful tests either .

I really like the part about how much energy it takes to maintain the perfect Legionella generator at the optimum 120* tank temp .

Use the Heating Edge 2 or even the newer HE3 (single pipe) They work as advertised and government agencies conduct tests just like they conduct investigations , like hell . GPMs were not verified and that is how the ratings were determined , and witnessed by an independent laboratory , BSRIA
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • DC123
    Options
    Thanks, rich. So would you tend to opt for he2 or he3 over cast iron?
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Depends on which more closely matches the output of what's there now . Gotta do the math . HE3 is gonna cost less but has the rated output that Smiths lists
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    you really should not mix CI basebd w/ fin tube on the same loop.
  • Rich_49
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kcopp said:

you really should not mix CI basebd w/ fin tube on the same loop.

He's replacing Standard Fin tube . But I'm curious what would be bad about cast iron in one area and fin tube in another that happen to be in the same series loop ? Should we also not use fin tube with Cast iron boilers ? What did I miss , besides the fact that the cast while taking a bit longer to heat up , will stay warm longer ? This may be desirable in a weird , custom sort of way .
    732-751-1560
  • DC123
    Options
    I can't see how the difference in heat capacity between the two would make a difference with a mod con given that they should be running constantly.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    You can do whatever you want just be aware that the way the rooms will heat up will not be the same. As you say Ci is slow to heat up and slow to cool. Your comfort may vary.
    Your choice.
    I would use the synergy high output baseboard if it were my place.