Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is it ?

bigred75
bigred75 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in Gas Heating
I found this in between a union on a boiler gas line while replacing a leaking regulator. It was in the union close to the boiler.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    What did you find?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Looks like the Holy Grail to me.

All kidding aside your picture didn't post.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    bigred75
  • bigred75

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Looks like an orifice of some type. Maybe to change incoming pressure.
  • bigred75

• bigred75
    It fits the diameter of the union and looks like it fell down when it was put in and got crushed.
    Gordo
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I service a Adams Speedflame power burner that used an orifice in the union just before the burner. It is the only orifice that controls the flow of NG into the burner. The size can be changed to increase or decrease the BTUH input.
    I would say you need to leave it in place.
    bigred75Gordo
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I agree with @JUGHNE , I have worked on many Power Flame Commercial gas burners that had what they call a "side orifice".

In those cases, they brought the gas into the branch of a black tee. On the run of the tee was a plug. Removing the plug you would find a spring and an aluminum orifice, that the spring holds in place. The other run of the tee was gas into the burner.

They didn't use the orifice on all burners....depends on the firing rate.
    Gordo
  • JUGHNE
    edited April 2017
    This Adams was a HP 800, it has a range from 300,000 to 800,000. This is accomplished with 2 orifice sizes included with burner; 3/8" and 37/64" sizes. Then adjusting the NG WC from 2" to a max of 5" WC. This burner is sized down now to 327,272 BTUH.

PS: these orifices are a thick aluminum disk that fit in a 1" union.

PPS: these are installed in the union fitting against the pipe nipple.
    Not in the union itself. The OP orifice looks like a steam valve copper orifice plate......easy to distort installing on the nose of the union. FWIW
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    It looks like a paper gasket that someone was trying to use to seal up the matched faces of a union, and it obviously didn't work well...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    These are 1 1/4" copper orifices that I drill out for steam valves to regulate input. The tortured one is a result of slipping while the union is tightened. Pretty heavy copper, new ones from Tungstall .
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @JUGHNE didn't know Tunstall had those, good to know