Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem with Beckett afg burner primary control????

Fig
Fig Member Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in Oil Heating
My burner stopped working a month or so ago, Reset on control box wouldnt start it & I replaced flame sensor eye to no avail. I had taken the control box off & removed cover, sanded some contacts & viola! fired right up:) only lasted a few days, then have to hold down reset to fire most times:( In the meantime I ordered another White-Rodgers 668-401 control bx. & have tried "3 new boxes" & none will even start the burner?? ****? Each times I resand contacts on my old box & reinstall, works great for a couple days...BUT WORKS! LOL The only thing I see is mine has an "E10" disignation & the newest 1 (today) has an E11. Mine also says Constant ignition & the new one says intermittent ignition formally called constant ignition?? all the new ones dont do nothing while my 30 yr old unit works? P.S. Instructions mention "make certain that high limit control is set at the correct temperature." where is this adjustment? TU:)

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    You really shouldn't be fooling with a safety control if you don't know how it works.

Don't want to end up on the evening news
    mgdesrochers
  • Fig
    Thanks for the advice:) any others wanta chime in?
    mgdesrochers
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

You really shouldn't be fooling with a safety control if you don't know how it works.

Don't want to end up on the evening news

^^THAT!

You obviously have other problems not related to the primary control.
    Following proper basic troubleshooting would've found the problem before you bought 3 primary controls. But you saved money, right?
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    I think a 4th primary control will do the trick.
    Does your COD oil company offer service? Time to open your wallet. And when he or she is working, don't lean over their shoulder.
  • mgdesrochers
    mgdesrochers Member Posts: 20
    You sanded contacts on the primary control and it worked for a couple of days??...new primary controls don't work but the old one you have fiddled around with does???
    STOP PLAYING WITH A SAFETY CONTROL!!! If it doesn't work properly there is a reason!!
    Google & Youtube are not the answer; hire a professional before you or somebody else gets hurt.
  • Fig
    HVACNUT said:

I think a 4th primary control will do the trick.

OMG! You were right! Thank You!! Yes it was hard to fathom the thought of such disgust AND they did have that little white sticker made in mexico but a 4th one which was old & used for many years did the trick! Thanks again for everyone's support & help here at heating help! :)

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Good Lord...........
    Rick
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,918
    Scary. None of us is perfect, but you have know when NOT tackle certain issues. A little healthy fear is in order when playing with burners. Mad Dog
  • Fig
    edited March 2017
    lol, you guys are funny! I've been gittin dirty n fixin fer 50 yrs now:) & of course safety is always priority one. Drive fast/take chances!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    OMG! You were right! Thank You!! Yes it was har4d to fathom the thought of such disgust AND they did have that little white sticker made in mexico but a 4th one which was old & used for many years did the trick! Thanks again for everyone's support & help here at heating help! :)

< I was being a sarcastic wise **** as usual. What brand primary were you using. Did you check the safety?