Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
edited February 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Before:

I installed this system in 2000, in a custom home located about 5 miles west of Leesburg, VA. The MZ boiler lasted almost 17 years. Not bad for one of the early condensing boilers.

I could have kept this one going for a few more years but parts are no longer available.

The burner cracked so it was time to replace it.

Comments

• Dan Foley
    edited February 2017
    After:

I replaced the MZ with a NTI Trinity. It converts to LP very easily by installing a brass orificein the gas valve.

The modulating burner is a big improvement over the 2-stage MZ, which tended to short cycle under partial load.
  • Dan Foley
    edited February 2017
    Welcoming committee greeted us when we arrived.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Are those critters prone to jumping into your grill as you go 60MPH? Do they get much bigger there?
  • Dan Foley
    Those were all pretty small. The big bucks must have been hiding in the tree line.

have managed to hit two in my GMC over the last five years. Good excuse to buy a new truck !
    JUGHNEkcopp
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Great work, Foley! Anytime the folks want some venison, have bow will travel. I'll bring the Finger Lakes Merlot too. Mad Dog
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    That was the MZ monitor, correct ? They always had a small ad in back of the mags. Mad Dog
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Man I wish they would just have a bounty on those things in Leesburg / Loudoun County and 5 counties in any direction from there !!! I hit one earlier this year , 4 am , work van , man what a hassle.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Dan Foley
    Thanks, MD

Yes, Monitor MZ.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Ah, the vicious White tail. Feared by all with its savage thirst for the blood and carnage.
    Only those with balls of steel can stalk the carnivorous beast, where, in the blink of an eye, the hunter becomes the hunted.
    Nice install though Dan.
    No I'm not one of people, just think punching a baby takes more skill.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    At least if you hit one of those little deer, it won't destroy your rig! I have been able to avoid two moose this year only because one stumbled running across the road, and I managed to slide around the other one. I fear my luck is running out though, and one of these days..... A friend of mine carries a good set of knives with him just in case. He figures if he hits one and he can get away quick enough, he is taking backstrap with him.
    Nice install by the way.
    Rick
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I would imagine hitting a moose would be devastating .

I travel some of the same roads as Dan does , and this area just has way , way , way too many deer. No natural predators anymore and not enough hunters .

Looks like the torch stayed in the truck on the replacement , unlike the original . Looks nice as always.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2017
    @Dan Foley, why the expansion tank size change? I gotta say I love that support you built (in addition to the entire install). I would of hand to reuse it if I were you :wink: